Bench grinder wheels

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need to buy a couple of plate mounted wheels for my Rockwell grinder, for tool sharpening. What grit for the carbide wheel? They offer 60 thru 120. Travers only offers 46 in the aluminum oxide, seems pretty coarse, any suggestions, maybe another supplier, about 50 each + change.16746857407591196624582552351029.jpg16746857407591196624582552351029.jpg

For sharpening HSS end mills on a surface grinder, I use a 46 H, J, or K Aluminum oxide wheel. For creating a new profile on HSS lathe tooling I use an 80-grit aluminum oxide bench grinder wheel or sanding belt. For touchup of this type tooling, I use a 120-grit wheel or belt, then hone it with a stone.

For sharpening HSS end mills on a surface grinder, I use a 46 H, J, or K Aluminum oxide wheel. For creating a new profile on HSS lathe tooling I use an 80-grit aluminum oxide bench grinder wheel or sanding belt. For touchup of this type tooling, I use a 120-grit wheel or belt, then hone it with a stone.
So what do you suggest as far as a general purpose grit for carbide tools? Thanks

For sharpening carbide tooling I would use either a silicon carbide or diamond wheel. I have a bench grinder dedicated to carbide tooling. Again, I use an 80 grit for roughing and a 120 grit for finishing. When using the surface grinder, I use either a 180 grit or 220 grit diamond wheels for finishing only. Keep in mind you'll need breathing protection when grinding carbide.

I'm sure others will come along with different opinions. In the scheme of things, I only use carbide tooling for 10% or less of the work I do. Most of my carbide tooling is the cemented style. I do have some tooling that uses inserts, but rarely use them. I much prefer HSS tooling. It's far easier to work with, far less expensive, and much easier to create a desired profile.

I've never seen a grinder stand that small. With your current back situation, that can't be good. Sitting is not good for your back either.

As far as wheels, Al Ox will not cut carbide. You need diamond or silicon carbide. I would go with diamond they run smoother. Get yourself a cleaning stick too for cleaning the swarf out of the diamond.

I've never seen a grinder stand that small. With your current back situation, that can't be good. Sitting is not good for your back either.

As far as wheels, Al Ox will not cut carbide. You need diamond or silicon carbide. I would go with diamond they run smoother. Get yourself a cleaning stick too for cleaning the swarf out of the diamond.
I think the stand is standard size, the photo did something I think. I was going to put a AL Ox wheel on one side and silicon carbide on the other, the diamond may be too expensive for my needs.

This morning I went into the shop to check the style and grit of the wheels I use for tool sharpening. I just noticed at that time I had the silicon carbide wheels mislabeled.

Some 10 years ago when I labeled them I used a labeling machine and did the aluminum oxide ones first. I erased the word “aluminum” on the labeler and substituted the word “silicon”. So for 10+ years the label has read “silicon oxide” rather than “silicon carbide”

Cubic boron nitride is more expensive than diamond in the west, but from China, CBN is cheaper than even their industrial grade diamond. The concentration isn't' the best, but the binders are tough therefore the wheels are tough. CBN cuts carbide! I have yet to find a vitreous stone that is even remotely useful with tungsten carbide. I haven't tried silicon carbide, Norton doesn't make toolroom stones in silicon carbide. Their premium stones are ceramic alu oxide, still not tungsten carbide capable, but cool grinding and amazing on HSS..

I think the stand is standard size, the photo did something I think. I was going to put a AL Ox wheel on one side and silicon carbide on the other, the diamond may be too expensive for my needs.
ok, it looks like it's below your workbench. So unless you have a workbench above 40 inches since a standard workbench is 35, it just looks really low.

Cubic boron nitride is more expensive than diamond in the west, but from China, CBN is cheaper than even their industrial grade diamond. The concentration isn't' the best, but the binders are tough therefore the wheels are tough. CBN cuts carbide! I have yet to find a vitreous stone that is even remotely useful with tungsten carbide. I haven't tried silicon carbide, Norton doesn't make toolroom stones in silicon carbide. Their premium stones are ceramic alu oxide, still not tungsten carbide capable, but cool grinding and amazing on HSS..
I'm not sure which "tool room" stone you're referring to, but Norton does make Silicon Carbide stones for bench grinders and surface grinders.

Here's a link to bench grinder a stone available at ZORO.

Here are some bench grinder and surface grinder stones available on the MSC website.

Back