Bench Grinding Wheels

I suspect it's a function of age, but I've given up getting too invested in griping about change and work the solutions. I don't like that some suit decided they could make a couple more $$ if they moved their operation overseas and if quality dropped it didn't matter because everybody was doing it, so there was little choice. It just opened up others to find a way to make a solution. And blaming the makers because they were directed by the suits to make something cheaper is counter productive IMHO. Kinda blaming the victim. I learned early on the name brands had sold out too, just didn't tell anybody but are still charging for that "brand". Meanwhile the shop full of knockoffs I've gotten used just needed those QC probs fixed and I ended up with a double discount. Git er done.

Sooo...what's the consensus? Are there any decent cup wheels available for the standard 6" grinder? I'm interested in both
the white alum oxide and the green carbide ones.

Sooo...what's the consensus? Are there any decent cup wheels available for the standard 6" grinder? I'm interested in both
the white alum oxide and the green carbide ones.
You probably won't be finding any toolroom grinding wheels, cup wheels, or flaring cups in 6" with a little bench grinder arbor hole. You can definitely get normal bench grinder wheels in any size or grade of abrasive you want. I recently started using a Norton 32AA 60-grit "purple" stone for roughing, it really runs cool while removing a ton of material. Works great on cobalt and other hard tool steels, but I still use chinese diamonds for carbide so I haven't tried it on that.

You probably won't be finding any toolroom grinding wheels, cup wheels, or flaring cups in 6" with a little bench grinder arbor hole. You can definitely get normal bench grinder wheels in any size or grade of abrasive you want. I recently started using a Norton 32AA 60-grit "purple" stone for roughing, it really runs cool while removing a ton of material. Works great on cobalt and other hard tool steels, but I still use chinese diamonds for carbide so I haven't tried it on that.

I guess I'll have to make flanges to mount the cup wheels to my 6" grinder once my grinding rest project is finished.

Which diamond wheels do you use?

I guess I'll have to make flanges to mount the cup wheels to my 6" grinder once my grinding rest project is finished.

Which diamond wheels do you use?
That would be the ticket. Then you could use common 4" or 5" cup wheels and set it up like a Rockwell carbide grinder with your new rest. Size selection should be based on surface speed from spindle RPM.

I have been using cheap china diamond wheels, the kind that cost $12. Stefan Gotteswinter dropped the tip that those wheels take abuse well (e.g. using on M2 HSS), so I treat them accordingly. The surface is much tighter than aluminum oxide, so they work well on small or fine tools. Although for lathe bits and general purpose work, it's hard to beat a 60-grit 38A white wheel.

Will you be building a drill bit attachment for your new tool grinder setup?

yeah that'd be awesome...for now though it's tools, to make tools, to make ore tools...eventually all these tools will be used to make parts! lol

Is this the type of diamond wheel you're referring to?

I don't think I'll be building a drill bit attachment since I have a Drill Doctor 750X and it does well for the ends...for the sides may be I can use my Phase 2 endmill sharpner...not sure yet.

Ah ok, those ones. I haven't seen those in 1/2" arbor but I'm sure I just have to look harder. Thanks @pontiac428

I think you'll need to make a 1-1/4" to 1/2" arbor adapter no matter what. Preferably one that stays mounted with the wheel, so one adapter for each wheel you run.

I think you'll need to make a 1-1/4" to 1/2" arbor adapter no matter what. Preferably one that stays mounted with the wheel, so one adapter for each wheel you run.
Have you built one? there's a design in Harold's book but I think he modified the actual shaft of the grinder to provide a step. Not sure that needs to be there? I see someone out of eastern europe selling the adapters on ebay too. That's kind of what I had in mind but not sure if his is two pieces that clamp the wheel together or just one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bench-Grin...mm-to-31-7mm-for-grinding-wheel-/132378937222

Edit: Also found this one that looks like will also work https://www.shars.com/grinding-wheel-adapter-for-1-1-4-arbor-hole

Back