• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Bench Master with Rotex vertical head.

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Ironguy

Swarf
Registered Member
I have a Bench Master to which is mounted a Rotex vertical head. The spindle on the Rotex has a double taper type Y collet on the nose. The threads on the spindle are in very bad shape. They work now but are very thin. Seeing as the type Y collets are just not that great at holding milling cutters I was thinking of converting the nose to ER20. The nut for the type Y is 1" X 14 the Nut for a ER20 is M24 X1.0P. Could anybody give me any ideas on this conversion. It seems it could work but I would not want to totally mess up the spindle if I can help it. I would probably send it out to grind the taper inside the spindle and thread the nose as I don't have the metric conversion gears for my Southbend 10K. I can give all the dimensions if anybody needs them. Thanks for any help.

Ironguy

7mag

Active User
I just bought a Benchmaster and I am interested in getting a vertical head. Any photos or info on the head you have would be helpful.
Mine has a shop made spindle and is not very good.
Thanks

Ironguy

Swarf
Registered Member
I just bought a Benchmaster and I am interested in getting a vertical head. Any photos or info on the head you have would be helpful.
Mine has a shop made spindle and is not very good.
Thanks
My Rotex head looks just like the one on the right with no logo. PO added a quill lock on the left side just below the spindle speed chart, the original is in the back operated with a allen wrench. These are fairly rare good luck finding one. http://www.lathes.co.uk/rotex/

[6]
[5] [7]