Bench top mill questions?

Hi Charles,
I made my head indexer from a piece of ground tool steel shafting and a pillow block that slides along it. The rod is currently attached to the mill stand and has served me well for years. I will be attaching the rod to the column at some point because it's in the way of a future project.
Good morning, thanks for sharing your set up. I like what you have done, and using a pillow block as a guide. I also like your powered threaded rod to raise or lower the the spindle head. Very nicely done. Thank's again.

Good morning, thanks for sharing your set up. I like what you have done, and using a pillow block as a guide. I also like your powered threaded rod to raise or lower the the spindle head. Very nicely done. Thank's again.
Hi Charles,
That power head lift via ACME lead screw and drill motor was supposed to be a temp solution but it's been years now. It works extremely well but it has a weakness that has always been in the back of my mind. If the lead screw ever fatigues ands snaps the head will drop. This remote possibility has always made me uncomfortable but when I originally built it I didn't have the capability to do anything better. I've gained experience and tooling along the way so my future plan is to make a worm drive gearbox to replace the whole lead screw assembly that would be powered by the same drill motor. This is why I mentioned modifying the index system because it's in the way of the new lift system. A worm drive is self locking and any type of failure would not cause the head to drop. I've learned a lot thru the years and am constantly amazed at the capability this mill. I'm not in business but I've done some jobs for friends with construction equipment when they were in a bind. Below are a few pix of a part I refurbished for a bud's excavator. Not too many other bench mills can handle a job like that and NONE will be below $1000! I once had the whole crew rehabbing Bradly Airport waiting for ME to complete some parts for a pavement eater that had broken down. (talk about pressure) It took me 12 hours but I had the parts back to them the next morning.

Attachments

• cDSC_0434.JPG
    cDSC_0434.JPG
    547.3 KB · Views: 14
  • eDSC_0440.JPG
    eDSC_0440.JPG
    461.2 KB · Views: 12
  • dDSC_0437.JPG
    dDSC_0437.JPG
    528.8 KB · Views: 14
  • PART WELDED IN PLACE.jpg
    PART WELDED IN PLACE.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I bought a busy bee craftex cx601. Basically, a grizzly g0704.

has done everything I’asked of it easily.

I’m just a home hobbiest though. Whether or not a particular machine fills your needs is dependent on….well, your needs.

My 601 might disappoint if used in a more commercial setting, but thats not what its designed for either.

My criteria was capacity of the machine, available space and price. I basically got two of those, with price being more than I wanted to spend but turns out it wasn’t that bad considering what the machine will do.

... I've been wanting one of these things for a while and suddenly have some bonus money coming in from work so figured this may be the time go move on it.
Why do want a vertical milling machine?

The reason(s) might help narrow the choices.

For example:
I got by for decades without having a vertical milling machine. What I was unable to make or modify using a drill press, bench vise, and files, I paid a machinist to do. What finally tipped me over to selecting and buying a mill was the desire to make accessories (tools) for the lathe that I had purchased three months before.

I selected and purchased a lathe to modify a kitchen appliance: the wheel mill that I use to make no-sugar-added chocolate. A component of my sugar substitute was building up in the simple wheel bearings -- Delrin hub and stainless-steel rod -- and stopping the wheels from turning. A solution to the problem was to replace the simple bearings with precision bearings, and to add seals. I didn't know enough about machining and bearings to specify to a machinist what to modify. Hence, I selected and purchased a lathe, and started my climb up the machining learning curve. That was three years ago.

I have a table-top lathe a table-top mill, both from Sherline. Most of what I want to make or modify is small: less than 1 inch diameter x 10 inches long on the lathe, and less than 8 inches wide x 4 inches deep x 2 inches tall on the mill. The bigger workpieces will be soft: wood, plastic, and aluminum. Hard workpieces, in steel, will be small.

I think that knowledge, skill, and confidence are the most important part of machining. If I ever need to make or modify something that is too big for my mill, I can still pay a machinist who has a big-enough mill. I would, though, have more knowledge than before.

Last edited:
Hi Charles,
That power head lift via ACME lead screw and drill motor was supposed to be a temp solution but it's been years now. It works extremely well but it has a weakness that has always been in the back of my mind. If the lead screw ever fatigues ands snaps the head will drop. This remote possibility has always made me uncomfortable but when I originally built it I didn't have the capability to do anything better. I've gained experience and tooling along the way so my future plan is to make a worm drive gearbox to replace the whole lead screw assembly that would be powered by the same drill motor. This is why I mentioned modifying the index system because it's in the way of the new lift system. A worm drive is self locking and any type of failure would not cause the head to drop. I've learned a lot thru the years and am constantly amazed at the capability this mill. I'm not in business but I've done some jobs for friends with construction equipment when they were in a bind. Below are a few pix of a part I refurbished for a bud's excavator. Not too many other bench mills can handle a job like that and NONE will be below $1000! I once had the whole crew rehabbing Bradly Airport waiting for ME to complete some parts for a pavement eater that had broken down. (talk about pressure) It took me 12 hours but I had the parts back to them the next morning.
Good morning, first things first, great job on rebuilding the knuckle. I'm not understanding the need for the acme rod to control the head position instead of the rack gear with a locking capability set up that the column has in place. Thanks.

Good morning, first things first, great job on rebuilding the knuckle. I'm not understanding the need for the acme rod to control the head position instead of the rack gear with a locking capability set up that the column has in place. Thanks.
Since I made the indexer it was convenient to raise and lower the head so I was doing it more often. I have bad arthritis and cranking the head by hand so much was killing my shoulder. The ACME rod is acting as a lead screw and when driven by a reversible drill motor it raises the head up and down. I had to remove a part from the original manual drive to allow this to happen.

Attachments

• DSC_1072.JPG
    DSC_1072.JPG
    610.2 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_1073.JPG
    DSC_1073.JPG
    617.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_1076.JPG
    DSC_1076.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 10
  • REC_0628.MOV
    58.4 MB
WOW, that works great. That is a very, very nice mod. Thank's for your reply. I love things like this that make life easier.

Back