Beryllium copper or brass ?? Need an ID.

Beryllium and Hydrochloric acid (HCL) reacts, Copper and Hydrochloric acid do not react. A few drops of HCL on the suspect metal should tell you the story. If you get a reaction (bubbles, etching, etc), then it may have Beryllium alloyed with the copper. Do this test outside, and away from where creatures (including you) are.

If you have a Known piece of brass nearby, perform the same test on it and compare the reaction. The piece with beryllium will have a stronger reaction.

Brasses are alloyed with zinc, which also reacts with HCl, as does aluminum. The acid test might not be ideal unless you have a near-pure specimen.

Yes, Zinc reacts, Beryllium REALLY reacts.

Where did the piece of metal come from , it might help if we know what it was in it's former life as a part :)

Where did the piece of metal come from , it might help if we know what it was in it's former life as a part :)

I have no ideas on it's original manufacture... I picked it up with several scrap pieces of metal in one of the local flea markets. Thinking I might eventually find a use for it and the other miscellaneous pieces. The pic above in the OP is really all I know about it, It has that curious groove cut into it on a diagonal which I assume was for some purpose that remains a mystery to me.

What would be the chances that your slug of mystery metal has a mass that ends in an uncoincidentally round number, like 1000g or 2.0 lbs?

What would be the chances that your slug of mystery metal has a mass that ends in an uncoincidentally round number, like 1000g or 2.0 lbs?

At this point it would be a guess as I don't have access to other than a household scale. I've also since bored a 0.500 hole thru it along with facing off each end to smooth things up a bit so I know I've changed the mass by a not inconsiderable amount.

Just trying to imagine what it would be. Could be a weight or a gas piston or who knows. I think it would be best if it fit the bore of your toy cannon.

Back