Best 2022 Paint Stripper?

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So apparently dichloromethane ( methylene chloride) and maybe toluene are now banned as they are no longer available in paint stripper formulations that I can find. I just went through my last can of Strypeze.
Are there any good all purpose formulations left? I am primarily using this to strip oil based paint from metal, not latex house paint and such. Have you had good success with a particular product? Assume I have no concerns about safety ;)

Pneumatic needle scaler and bead blaster :)
I have that but this is a magnesium bicycle fork. I need to be careful. In looking at Strypeeze it appears that it still has methanol, toluene, and acetone. They have eliminated the CH2Cl2. Hmmm. I could buy that separately and add it?!

Last edited:
I've had reasonable luck with citristrip, it takes awhile to work but it does work.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

So apparently dichloromethane ( methylene chloride) and maybe toluene are now banned as they are no longer available in paint stripper formulations that I can find. I just went through my last can of Strypeze.
Are there any good all purpose formulations left? I am primarily using this to strip oil based paint from metal, not latex house paint and such. Have you had good success with a particular product? Assume I have no concerns about safety ;)
meth chlor is fantastic for stripping. I lament the fact that it's gone. I am a woodworker first and when restoring old pieces I find it the best, fastest stripper, with the least damaging effects to the wood, and veneer on fine pieces.

I have been using citri strip, but I have noticed that it is less effective than it was years ago. so I think a change in forumla was made.
As I said about the SB restore on another thread. I mixed TSP in water and boiled the paint off. It cleaned the cast iron of oil from the pores.

The paint came off in sheets. I didn't have to do any work. Again that was cast iron, and some heavy metal. If you have a big enough pot it's worth a try. I used a gas camping stove .. since then I bought an electric hotplate. I still strip with citri strip, but it's messy by comparison.

So you boiled TSP and then brushed on? Or pumped it with a pressure washer or?
I had a big pot, and put the parts in the boiling water/tsp mix. Obviously it has to fit. for the bed of my lathe I power washed it.
But anything that went into the pot came out clean.
I had bought a cheap stainless big pot with cover from Wallyworld, and already had a roasting post big and oblong from my mom or somewhere.
was using it for parts cleaning..

brushing it on won't work. it needs to heat up the paint, and the tsp helps clean it at the same time. Just let it boil.

Check out
You will need a business to order from them but they have what you need I think. I got 5 gallons of a stripper for a couple of boats that needed stripping. Not cheap.

Does lye attack your metal?

Sam's club has oven cleaner that usually is in spray cans for lots on cost in a 2 pack or quarts with trigger spray for about 10 bucks.

Strips paint well and cleans up whatever else it touches.

No good for aluminum left to soak but fast cleaning after paint is melting is fine.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Interesting that you bring up lye. I used that to strip off the anodized finish from the stantions.

1642171256109.png
1642171268877.pngThey came out great after I polished them up on the lathe.
I have never tried oven cleaner as a paint remover. Does it work on oil based paint?

Last edited:
Back