Best 3 phase motor for VFD's

Yes, a typo indeed. 40-60 HZ. This is self imposed as I'm a firm believer in using the gears as much as possible and only tweaking RPMs to suite a particular need. This (I feel) keeps the motor working in a decent torque range and does not place undue stress on the gear train.

The lathe and mill motors are 4 pole which have high-end RPMs of just under 1800 RPM. 2 Pole motors (usually used on surface grinders) will spin up to 3600.

Ray

I got this set-up on my wood lathe. Works off 110 volt, I like that.
Working pretty good, but don't know how the import motor will hold up?
http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=6898

- - - Updated - - -

Did you mean 40-60 HZ?

- - - Updated - - -

Am thinking about going with the same set-up I have on the wood lathe, 1/2 hp is enough for a 10" logan right?
http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=6898

Yeah, I don't know how they are doing it, I see that motor alone for $166.00-$177.00.
You have to add $40.00 to dealers electric for shipping though.

Is that vfd solid? I didn't even look hard at it.

I've done many 3-phase/VFD conversions (about 10) and I've never had a problem with any motor, nor have I ever seen a posting on a forum from someone who has personally had a problem with any 3-phase motor on a VFD. In an industrial high-duty-cycle and maybe high-temperature environment, you might need to be more careful and worry about an inverter rating, but in a home shop, use whatever you can get with the HP rating you need at the best price you can get. I've had great luck with 1/2 to 1/5 HP motors on eBay. I don't think I've ever paid more than $100 with shipping for Leeson, Reliant, and other good brands.

I was going to try to scrounge up an old 3 phase motor for my metal lathe, maybe 1/2 HP.
Someone said the new motors are designed for VFD's, and I would be better off buying a new motor.
Is this true, and are all new 3 phase motors designed for VFD's, of just some of them?
Thanks,
Tony

anybody ever get a good one at a scrap yard?

Around here (nor CA) the scap yards charge more than eBay. Search "1/2 HP 3-phase motor" and sort cheapest first. There are several under $70 with shipping, and some look new.

Yeah, I don't know what this scrap yard here sells them for. I know they only gave me about $3.00 for a motor I took there.
I heard he is tough too.
If I am going to pay $70.00 for just a motor, on e bay, I might as well get the TEDCO brook Compton deal for about $200.00 shipped.

- - - Updated - - -

see, I have this Idea, the cheaper I can put this stuff together for, the more fun it is.
I better just get that out of my head, cause I'm not having any fun lately.

Back