Best Follower Rest finger material

I have some bronze bar stock if you want to try making them from steel with bronze tips, it measures 1/2" x 2"

Johjn

There was a recent Joe Pie video, that I think came through here, on this very subject. He was using nonmetallic tips that were milled in place for each job. I was quite taken by it, as I do small work. I don't happen to have a link, but it is well worth the effort to look it up.

Delrin, bronze, phenolic , cast iron, all would be suitable materials to construct tips from, all depend on what materials you are turning as to which material to make a bearing surface for

There was a recent Joe Pie video, that I think came through here, on this very subject. He was using nonmetallic tips that were milled in place for each job. I was quite taken by it, as I do small work. I don't happen to have a link, but it is well worth the effort to look it up.

You mean this one? Joe Pie Follow Rest

I’ll dig out the thread later this morning.

Previous thread on Joe Pie's Follower Rest: H-M Thread - "Joe Pie Follow Rest"

Last edited:
Has anyone tried bronze journal bearings, on steel axles? It'd take a LOT of work time to wear a
good journal bearing, and they take loads and knocks better than equal moneysworth of
ball bearings.

Back