Best overal aluminium alloy

ChrisAAA

Registered
Registered
Hello

Does anyone know what aluminium alloy(s) are overall best suited for all kinds of fabrication metods you migth be doing at home (Casting, machining, forming, welding)?

I don't think one size fits all with aluminum (aluminium). The silicon that makes 6061 so great to machine is impossible to bend without failing. What pours well into a mold (mould) may not weld or form well. The alloy determines its use, or the use determines the alloy.

There is no one best alloy for all purposes. Cast aluminum alloys are considerably different composition than extrusion alloys like 6061. It usuaqlly has a fair amount of silicon added to decrease surface tension anbd porosity. Alloys which are intended for fabrication by bending are different as well. 7075 is a more expensive material but machines nicely and has better strength than other alloys.

Here is some information on various alloys. https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/3887
Matweb is also a good source but you will have to know what alloy you are looking for.

6061-T6 is the closest thing to the do all AL alloy. Good strength, bendable in annealed state, weldable, takes anodizing well, nice colors. Readily available and cheap.
It will not work for casting.

Thank you for you answers.

From the answer i got I understand that 6061 is a good all purpose alloy. But is not good for casting.

Do you have any recommendations for an alloy that is well suited for casting, machining and welding. Something in the mid-range in terms of strength, but corrosion resistance isn't any concern.

Back