Best VFD”s on the market

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello Ladies and gentlemen , as some of you already know I recently purchased a few 3 phase surface grinders and being without 3 phase power leaves me in need of a few VFD to fit the bill and get these things up and running. That’s what leads me to this question. Which variable frequency drives should I be looking at, not just spec wise but primarily which brands and models are out there in today’s market that won’t break the bank and will do a great job? Just want to hear what you guys are using and what you like or dislike about them. Looking forward to hearing all your experiences and comments. Thanks for participating

Rotary Phase Converter. One phase converter powers every one of these.
Yes sir, I had a RONK rotor that was I believe a 10 hp rated converter. I sold it to a tool and die maker a couple years back because I didn’t have any 3 phase machines. Fast forward to now and it would have been ideal for my situation

Then I am not sure why you are looking for VFDs?

I know a guy who bought a Teco Westinghouse for his J head Bridgeport and he’s always trying to get me to buy one. So I guess there’s one vote for Teco Westinghouse.
I bought a cheap import and it failed to work. I got my money back though. It wasn’t for anything I needed, so no big deal.

I've had two Teco's and one HY.
The Teco's were on my mill and surface grinder. Once programmed they never gave me a moment of trouble.
Contrast that to the HY on my CNC router which I have to reprogram maybe every fifth time I start it up.

Last edited:
I had a Teco E510 I was happy with, and gets solid reviews pretty much everywhere. I sold it to a buddy for a variety of reasons, but largely I knew I was going to be buying multiple machines. For less than the cost of two E510s you can buy a North America Rotary Phase converter that will handle multiple machines.

I recently saw an ad for a Vevor VFD, I think it was 3HP for $100. Based on my good experiences with several other Vevor products, I'd give them a try. They have good support, at least for product returns.

I've been using HY inverters , I've found them reliable , I had one with miss identified ground points but the newer one I have didn't have the same incorrect markings.

Stu

I currently have 4 Teco L510 series VFDs (2 on the Mill, 1 on a Bandsaw & 1 on a Drill Press) They've been running for about 8 years without any trouble. I have 1 HY VFD on my Air Compressor that sometimes gives an "Over Current" fault if I run it hard. I also have a RPC for my 2 Lathes and a Washing Machine (Yes, the clothes washer). I have a Surfacer Grinder that's not currently working but will run on the RPC when commissioned.

Last edited:
Back