Best way to sell HSS end mills

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've got some tool flea markets coming up and want to sell some of my excess end mills that I've picked up in auction lots over the last few years. What do you think is the best way to sell them? I was thinking of just coming up with a price per pound but I'm not sure what that price would be. Or if I just had a flat cost per end mill, what would that be? Or maybe a price for smaller end mills versus larger end mills. Looking for suggestions.

How many are you looking to dispose of, less than a hundred or several hundred? If they’ name brands and less than a hundred I would sell them in small lots or as individuals. Size and and condition should determine the price. If new I would ask about 50% of retail. If resharpened about 35% of retail, and if used about 25% of retail. If they’re Chinese brands I’d sell them for about half the previously stated prices.

If some are damaged but could be reground I would put them in a lot for around $1.00 each. There will probably be someone looking for some to practice their grinding talents on.

I bought a hundred or so from someone on another forum a couple years ago. They were all new small 1/4” to 1/2” carbide. He was selling several thousand he got from buying out a closed shop. They cost less than $1.00 each. However retail prices have gone up considerably since then

Last edited:
How about NOS ? I have about 2000 here . I've never sold end mills anywhere before . I DO know that carbide scrap is worth $7.50 a pound .

I have close to that many and haven’t considered selling any either. I only buy new mills these days and replacing them would easily cost at least double what I paid for the ones I currently have

I buy them on eBay in sets if they’re small, and singles if they’re over half inch. The small ones are easier to break, so it’s good to have extra.
I say that as a thought for how to sell them. Sell big ones as singles, and small ones in lots of multiple. Ebay will suggest the going price when you make the listing, and you can choose to accept that asking price or adjust it as you please.

So most here use 1/2" and under I know for the mini mills . Niagras , Putmans etc new in box should sell as a group ? I see these off shore brands going for pennies but don't know how they stack up in quality . I own none . Larger end mills sell each ? Sounds like a plan .

Clevelands . These are NOS 3 flute never touched until I just opened the sleeves . What would you ask for them ? :dunno:I'm currently in a major project with boxes and boxes of NOS tools so interested in anyone's thoughts .

Attachments

• IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    772.6 KB · Views: 24
The used equipment dealers in this area are asking $8.00 to 10.00 for those mills new in the box. If you buy multiples they generally give a 10% to 15% discount.

As for the cheap brands I only tried them once. I bought a dozen Interstate 3/8” ball end mills. They were terrible. I returned them and spent the money for Niagara’s

Last edited:
How about NOS ? I have about 2000 here . I've never sold end mills anywhere before . I DO know that carbide scrap is worth $7.50 a pound .
And I thought you were my friend: not that I’m in the market for end mills at present, you never mentioned any NOS during my visit.

And I thought you were my friend: not that I’m in the market for end mills at present, you never mentioned any NOS during my visit.
Didn't you make it down the basement ? The entire large container is full of NOS end mills of all sizes . :grin: I just added maybe 300 to the stash also .

Back