Best way to stake a hammerhead?

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
This is a simple question but I hope to get some highly educational answers from this group. What is the best way to stake a hammerhead to a wooden handle? I have seen cylindrical wedges, wooden wedges, nails, epoxy. What is your opinion?

Depends on what the hammer is like inside the hole. Depends on the inside tapers, top, bottom, front, back, sides, round or square corners, and what the relationship is between smallest dimension of the hole and the length of the hole. What is the hammer used for? Fitting a hammer handle is a custom job in my shop, and likely everybody else's shops as well. Unless they just throw the hammer away. :eek 2:

Not epoxy; at least, not alone. I use the classic barbed wedges for securing a hammer head.

For epoxy composite handles, I fill the gap with epoxy and drive in as many slivers of fiberglass as I can. I use the rods because the glass fibers are aligned axially. One source was fiberglass fence posts, Another would be fiberglass rods. I ise a knife to split them into narrow slivers and drive them into the uncured epoxy, as many as I can. My favorite hammer was a 3 lb. engineer's hammer with a fiberglass cored handle. The epoxy that came with the bedding kit pulverized under the beating of use. When I finally replaced the OEM system with the above, it lasted for several decades. It finally met it's demise when I ran over it with a Brush Hog mower. (actually cut the handle in two)
I used the system for setting a fiberglass handle into an 8 lb. splitting maul after the original fixing system failed, maybe 40 years ago. Another hammer with the same system has remained intact for several decades as well.

For wood, I use the barbed wedges avilable from a hardware store. I have also forged my own wedges for use on a straight peen hammer that I forged and handle that I made from a hickory tree that I cut. That was in 1978 and it is still going strong.

I have used nails for a quick fix but it is not really satisfactory. They tend to come loose. Horseshoe nails tend to work a little better as they are tapered. In driving a classic wedge, I will drive it on a diagonal so the wood expands in both directions. One good trick is to dry the wooden handle in an oven. This will shrink the wood. As the wood picks up moisture after assembly, it will swell and tighten the assembly. Blacksmiths used to soak their hammers overnight to swell the wood for the next day's work.

My Dad did some with metal wedges and "Epoxy Steel" about 40 years ago. They are still going strong. I'm sure it would be a real pain if I ever needed to change the handles again.

Thanks guys! So I found this hammer outside. I believe it is a roofing hammer. The center hole is oval and narrowest as its mid-portion. Wider above and below this.
While at the hardware store, I saw a kit for this purpose. It had a wood wedge and a smaller metal wedge. The directions showed the wood wedge long ways and the metal wedge driven through the wood wedge, rotated 45 deg when viewed from the top. The original handle on this was secured with a wood wedge and 2 cylindrical hollow wedges. That looked nice. I may try to salvage those circular wedges.
How wide and how deep should the groove in the new handle be cut for the wedge? Any adhesive/glue/filler/bedding material?
Pontiac- epoxy in the groove or on top of the wedge? I have see it used to fill the entire top of the hole.

Handle and various wedges. I made the stainless round ones to replace the originals.

1547155864584.png

Robert

Last edited:
How wide and how deep should the groove in the new handle be cut for the wedge? Any adhesive/glue/filler/bedding material?
Pontiac- epoxy in the groove or on top of the wedge? I have see it used to fill the entire top of the hole.

I use it both as a bedding and as an adhesive. A loose hammer head is the worst.

Back