Betrayed by a long term friend

It seems to me that you are stretching the word "friend" pretty far out of shape. Neither of you communicated with the other for years. It sounds like a poor bargain has run it's course. You not wanting to speak to your "friend" directly is incredible. Direct, rational communication is the short path to amicable resolution. Oh, that's right, you're ****** and want to hurt him.

Nutter is well known around here. He had a stellar reputation for building some of the hottest SBC motors in the area, but also as being an onery sort. Then he started playing with LS engines, and was clearly out of his element. This was way back in 2010 or so. Heard of many disappointed LS owners.
He built a GT2 motor for an acquaintance and charged what seemed at the time to be quite a premium. That LS motor lasted about 5 min into the first practice session at PIR. They failed to pin the balancer to the end of the crank. LS race dry sump engines require pinning, or the harmonic balancers will shear the keyway off, throw the motor off balance and instantly pop the motor. The dry sump multi-stage oil pump belt adds additional load to the harmonic balancer that doubles as the crank pulley, and is more load than the keyway alone can handle.

Last edited:
You seem a little vague on when was the last time you had any contact with the guy, from what you said, it seems like at least 2 years? IMHO that is a long time to be out of contact with someone holding thousands of dollars of your machinery and consider a friend. Also not having anything in writing was a big mistake, what if at any time the guy passed away, how would his heirs know those machines were yours, or care? I'm not saying its you fault, the guy absolutely should have contacted you and given you a chance to get you machines back, but I think you might want to share some of the responsibility for things going awry.

I also agree with the other comments here that it is imperative you speak directly with the guy, I'd even reach out to the guy who bought the shop and at least let him know whats going on. Stewing in anger and plotting revenge is not going to resolve the issue, it will likely just bring more frustration an harm upon you.

It's hard to talk with him since I don't have his number. The only number I had was his business number and the new owner has that. Yes I want to hurt him, legally.

Yes 2 years apparently was too long, but we did that for many years. It hurts he didn't at least give me a heads up.

Yes I'm probably just screwed. And I don't need the $$$, but I do need the lathe. I could care less about the mill. The mill I have makes the bridgeport look like a toy. Much heavier, box ways, 2-1/2 times the power.

I had seen him since my stroke so he knew I was ok. At least he could have called. I did talk to the new owner. We had met before but he didn't know they are my machines. He was going to call AC. Apparently that didn't do any good.

I have found that it is best to avoid getting vindictive until you have exhausted all other options. Were it me, I would search out all evidence of my ownership. Barring that, having a casual conversation, preferably recorded or with a witness where the objective would be to obtain an admission of your ownership and possibly your previously understood agreement for ammunition to back your claim would be desirable. Once you have exercised your options, then you can get vindictive.

Water under the bridge but good advice is to get any agreement in writing and signed by both parties. This is especially true when there is a significant amount of money involved. While the other party may balk at this, you can explain that it is for their protection as well in the event something happens to you.

Any business deal is usually at its best when first undertaken. The same is true for personal enterprises. As evidence, look at all the divorces.

A P.I. could get you an address and phone number quickly. A good one can get info on the business deal and send you photos of his house and current car. Or take a trip to a local bail bondsman, plunk a pair of fifties on the counter and say you need help with a skip trace. A few more fifties while you're there, and you'll be able to get contact info for an inflictor to help your friend see the light.

I'm kidding, but at the same time I'm not.

Back