Bevel straight edge

I know nothing about scraping beyond trying to make a good number of contact points in a plane. How does that work for a fine edge? The edge forms a line instead of a plane, so any deviation (or scrape) would mean the edge is not straight between those contact points. Make sense? I understand scraping the planar surfaces, I'm just curious on how that works when those planes come to an edge.

If anyone is considering one of these castings they are absolutely first rate. No hard spots, no porosity, good dimensional control. I’d highly recommend his products.

I know nothing about scraping beyond trying to make a good number of contact points in a plane. How does that work for a fine edge? The edge forms a line instead of a plane, so any deviation (or scrape) would mean the edge is not straight between those contact points. Make sense? I understand scraping the planar surfaces, I'm just curious on how that works when those planes come to an edge.
The front edge of the bevel is actually flat about 0.030“, even though it looks sharp in the picture. Best I can measure the ground surfaces are a tenth or so out of flat. So I’ll need to scrape them. Top, bottom, and bevel face. I intend to use it for lathe compounds and other small dovetail parts.

Fascinating, thanks! You're planning to use it to print prussian blue to the inside of a dovetail, that makes sense, since you are using the planes to do that. So it's really a geometric solid for your purposes, not an edge per se. Clear now! :cool:

Fascinating, thanks! You're planning to use it to print prussian blue to the inside of a dovetail, that makes sense, since you are using the planes to do that. So it's really a geometric solid for your purposes, not an edge per se. Clear now! :cool:
Yep. That’s exactly it. Printing insides of dovetails. Also a good practice job. If I screw it up. Just put it back on the grinder and give it another go.

@GT-6 Racer What is the length of this straight edge? How wide is the angled section? I'm guessing 10" and 1.250" from the pictures.

@GT-6 Racer What is the length of this straight edge? How wide is the angled section? I'm guessing 10" and 1.250" from the pictures.
It’s 8” long the square sides are a little under 2”. Bevel is a little over one inch.

How much time do you think you'll put into it?

How much time do you think you'll put into it?
I have about 8hrs in machining the raw casting and grinding it. It’s square, parallel, and angled to within a tenth or so. As good as I can manage on the grinder. I expect another afternoon hand scraping to finish it up.

Back