Beware Of Chinese Jacobs

I'm glad this thread was started as I was thinking of buying a new Jacob's super ball bearing chuck, but not now. I always liked a chuck with a key, but Now I am considering trying a keyless chuck.

I purchased a new 5/8" Jacobs ball bearing Super Chuck last year. Same thing, it was rough and run out was way out there. Finally got disgusted with it and bought a new Rohm chuck. It is a nice chuck.

Too bad, just another chapter and verse. I have 3 older Jacobs and all are very good chucks.

Sandia

Wierd ....along with my early forties AA 109 I got a3/8" Super chuck. 0 taper..Perfectly smoot and tight , $ 143 inVictor Catalogue

I recommend doing what I've been doing. Buy relative sleeper Jacobs chucks (meaning final price less than $100 for the largest ones and on down) on eBay and then keep searches running for the vintage NOS repair parts (Sleeves, jaws and nuts). Then I'm going to machine the necessary arbors and receivers and rebuild all of them. And then I'll have all the decent chucks I'll ever need. About the only machine tool related company that I know of that hasn't succumbed to the disease is Timken. And that's only a matter of time I'm sure. In a way, I'm glad that I don't have that many years left to worry about it.

I got a sick feeling, I just bought a expensive jacobs chuck for my new lathe when Zoro had their sale a couple days ago. The chuck will get here tomorrow, the lathe in a couple weeks. If it says made in "China I guess I will find out on my first Zoro purchase how their return policy goes.

michael

Have a single 3/8" Jacobs chuck, made in China, it's the worst chuck I've ever seen, I think I could build a better one myself! I still plan to use it though :)

I'll mention that as Jacob's change happened fairly recently (I bought a new small chuck from Wholesale Tool shortly before they closed their Houston store and it is US made), it would be worthwhile writing any eBay seller whose ad doesn't say and asking whether the one that they are selling is US or Chinese.

Went thru this myself last year. Bought a replacement Jacobs drill chuck for a Clausing drill press. Came from Enco. Looked nice but wouldn't hold a twist drill worth a damn and the runout was atrocious when checked with a precision gauge pin and indicator. Returned to Enco for refund. I've since bought a couple of gently used super chucks off craigslist. Excellent chucks.

My Jacobs chuck JK 160-MT4 arrived from Zoro today. Actually it was supposed to be here last week, but all they shipped was an empty box. Luckily that was taken care of with no drama. My fears were confirmed, although the chuck , box and literature say nothing of country of origin, the certificate of inspection states .0016" runout and stamped with a Chinese looking stamp for the inspector. Chuck seems okay, but lathe is not here yet and wont be for a week and I have nothing to hold a MT4 arbor with to test it. Sure would be nice if suppliers would let you know the country of origin of their merchandise, and sneaky of Jacobs to make no mention of country or origin either. I let my guard down and got what I deserved.

michael

My Jacobs chuck JK 160-MT4 arrived from Zoro today. Actually it was supposed to be here last week, but all they shipped was an empty box. Luckily that was taken care of with no drama. My fears were confirmed, although the chuck , box and literature say nothing of country of origin, the certificate of inspection states .0016" runout and stamped with a Chinese looking stamp for the inspector. Chuck seems okay, but lathe is not here yet and wont be for a week and I have nothing to hold a MT4 arbor with to test it. Sure would be nice if suppliers would let you know the country of origin of their merchandise, and sneaky of Jacobs to make no mention of country or origin either. I let my guard down and got what I deserved.

michael

Sadly Michael this is the state of the industry these days. Starrett, Jacobs, Nicholson files, Triumph Drill, along with numerous others are as big of crap shoot as any other lesser company these days. Check out my recent experience here. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/my-recent-buying-experiences.33461/ I now do more diligent research and have resolved my self to spend the higher amount for known quality products no matter where the country of origin is. The worst thing is name and price are no longer a assurance of quality. Hopefully your chuck is within spec and that it serves you well.

Darrell

Back