BFT (Best Friend Today)

Groundhog

Registered
Registered
0599.jpg New Best Friend today. I grabbed the working end of a metal bar during a sanding/grinding operation. The pain started as soon as the hissing stopped and before the burning smell made it to my nose. Went inside & washed up then attacked the ugliest plant in the house. The big old aloe vera that looks like a couple of octopi fighting over a water balloon.
After a few minutes speading the juice and pulp around - no more pain. Just a welt looking mark on my hand where there should be blisters.
Don't know anything about this particular plant, it was left by the previous owners, but is at least twice as effective as any other aloe plant I've ever used. Probably twice as ugly too!

Who ya calling ugly?!?
Glad it's only a welt.

Daryl
MN

glad you are ok, I have a couple of different kinds of Alo in the house, One just big, and another that looks like it keeps having babies.
but none that look like an octopus. Keep an eye on it. and be careful

When I was living in AR l was cutting some sheet metal with the plasma and forgot my hand was under it holding up the sheet o_O went rite across my palm . I knew it was going to be bad and it hurt like hell, so I figured ied go to the local watering hole 4miles away in Oklahoma and hold on to a cold one or five for a while. The bartender was a older women that lived in OKLAHOMA her whole life, I told her what happened ,she told me to put a bunch of
miracle whip on it and wrap it , I did and it took the pain away immediately and the next day I couldn’t tell any thing happened , true story

That aloe looks much different than the ones found in AZ. That plant works well on severe sunburn or v neck left unbuttoned while TIG welding alumminum, ask me how I know. Glade you’ll live to burn yourself another day. I know I will.

dlane,
The miracle whip thing sounds like a win-win. Stick your hand in a jar of the white stuff and when it quite hurting just pull your hand back between 2 pieces of bread and make a sandwich! Good thinking!!

Not sure about the bread but miracle whip is always on hand “pun intended “

A while back, I burned my hand on the muffler of a small engine and I was in a lot of pain. What I did was immerse my hand in
cold water for an hour to get away from the agony. I was told this works by keeping oxygen away from the seared nerve endings.
Also If one can very quickly apply some ice or something out of the freezer to the burned area, the resulting severity will be reduced considerably.

cathead,
About 20 years ago I was in an electrical explosion and resulting fire. I had second and third degree burns everywhere on my upper body not covered by my tee shirt, sun glasses and wrist watch. I was laid on the ground in the direct summer sun while waiting an hour or so (ski resort in the mountains) for the medevac helicopter to get there. I was in a lot of pain until someone covered me in wet sheets and held a patio table umbrella over me. I'll never forget the relief I got from those sheets.
To this day I lick and keep moist any small burns until I can until I can get to proper care. Seems that the faster I can get the area cooled down and kept moist the better I heal with less pain.
I never did find out who thought to cover me like that, but I'll never forget them either.

A while back, I burned my hand on the muffler of a small engine and I was in a lot of pain. What I did was immerse my hand in
cold water for an hour to get away from the agony. I was told this works by keeping oxygen away from the seared nerve endings.
Also If one can very quickly apply some ice or something out of the freezer to the burned area, the resulting severity will be reduced considerably.
When I was a chef long ago, we used the same technique. It is very easy to get badly burned in a commercial kitchen. The upside is that ice is only a few feet away and easy to jam you hand into. It works. Burns that would be second degree otherwise become no worse than sunburn. Cold water also helps, not quite as well. There is still damage damage being done after the flame or sizzle is gone. Cool the area as quickly as possible, every second counts.

Back