Bidder Beware!

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
There's a local auction that runs pretty much every two weeks and I've managed to get some deals there so I normally see what they have listed. Still, you have to be VERY careful with them as it's a consignment setup and they don't really know anything about the stuff they're auctioning (at least most of the time). Scrolling through the auction that closes tomorrow I noticed an Athol/Starrett bench vise...normally very highly regarded. Note, it's been "restored" which is a fancy way of saying it was painted. Do you see it?

Starrett.jpeg

The dynamic jaw shows evidence of having failed and then brazed back in place. I'm willing to be the jaws don't line up properly when closed, but that's just a guess. This is very obviously someone trying to hide damage and get hundreds of dollars for one that's worth about $150 (mostly for the swivel base). Be careful if you're considering buying a vise that's been painted folks!

Starrett copy.jpeg

The dynamic jaw shows evidence of having failed and then brazed back in place. I'm willing to be the jaws don't line up properly when closed, but that's just a guess. This is very obviously someone trying to hide damage and get hundreds of dollars for one that's worth about $150 (mostly for the swivel base). Be careful if you're considering buying a vise that's been painted folks!

View attachment 486826
I may not be able to braze better than that on a large casting, but I know I can grind it back and make it at least look better.

One YouTube boat builder has shirts: Welder Grinding god.

If you haven't checked out G-ManBart's vise website, it's worth the time! (In his signature line)

I have an old Reed 5-1/2" swivel jaw, swivel base vise that a friend salvaged from a collapsed barn. It was rusted up solid and has a brazed repair in the same area as the Starrett shown above. The braze job was very well done, and the jaws line up perfectly. I use it all the time, and pretty hard, too. Because of the repair, I don't worry about a little wear and tear, because the vise has gone through so much already!

Getting it unstuck was a challenge. I built an oven from firebricks and heated it to 450 degrees with a propane weed-burner torch. That expanded things enough to create a gap in the rust that allowed Kroil penetrating oil to do it's work. This also loosened up the screw enough to turn. I then made up a frame so I could use a 2 Ton portapower ram to push the dynamic jaw slide out of the fixed jaw casting. I had to keep turning the screw as the jaw moved. After that, I used a couple of large bar clamps (they say "shipbuilding" right on the castings!) and a come-along to get the swivel jaw to rotate. It was a big project, but it salvaged a very nice vise, and I appreciate it with every use.

Reed 305.5 01.comp.jpg
Reed 305.5 2.comp.jpg
Reed 305.5 7.comp.jpg

I've got that vise ( the Starrett ) out in the garage with a stripped nut . :grin: It WAS blue , now it's probably rust colored .

What braze job?
I would gladly adopt that pup...the vise, not so much.

I like to joke that our dog Rocky came from the scratch and dent isle at the shelter and he's been an absolute joy and inspiration. He had a terrible injury to his LF leg so they had to amputate it. He still had stitches (which they hid in his fur lines) when we brought him home. He's fast, agile, flies up steps, and wrestles with our other dogs like you wouldn't believe. He actually learned to do a trick where he rolls across where his leg is missing when he's wrestling with the other dogs...it's hysterical. We recently got him fit for a prosthetic leg which lets him go for longer walks without putting too much wear/tear on his front leg. Here's my snuggle-buddy (second pic is a screen cap from video, so not a great pic):

IMG_5795.PNGIMG_5796.PNG

Back