Bidder Beware!

Last night I noticed the Starrett vise had popped up on the local Facebook Marketplace. It's listed at $300 and has the comment "Firm, offers will be blocked". If he paid cash and got the buyer's premium discount he paid $180 for that piece of junk and now wants to make a profit...unethical in my mind, but to each his own.

There are a number of pictures, most obviously trying to not show the repair. Luckily, to show the full side they can't skip showing the repair, and if you zoom in it's obvious how much worse the repair is than it looked in the auction photos. It's really terribly done. It's so bad I can't tell if it's terribly brazed, or terribly welded.

IMG_5812.PNG

Last night I noticed the Starrett vise had popped up on the local Facebook Marketplace. It's listed at $300 and has the comment "Firm, offers will be blocked". If he paid cash and got the buyer's premium discount he paid $180 for that piece of junk and now wants to make a profit...unethical in my mind, but to each his own.

There are a number of pictures, most obviously trying to not show the repair. Luckily, to show the full side they can't skip showing the repair, and if you zoom in it's obvious how much worse the repair is than it looked in the auction photos. It's really terribly done. It's so bad I can't tell if it's terribly brazed, or terribly welded.

View attachment 487215
Post a link and we can all send him offers of $180, his head will spin.

Years back I bought my holy grail vise, a Columbian 604, and had it shipped to me. The shipping cost more than the vise and when I opened the box I found it was broke and braised through the base of the moving jaw. The job was done well enough I couldn't even blame the seller.

1713716947762.png

Back