Big Boring Machine

I’ve always felt awkward positioning an indicator at the 4-jaw chuck. Something gets bumped the first time the chuck turns. Something doesn’t quite reach. Something blocks the view of the dial. I learned a few moves doing this project.

View attachment 368721
In one of Joe Pie's videos, he shows a neat solution to this problem. Find 4 pieces of flat stock a couple of inches long. Hold them on the outside faces of your rectangular part with a rubber band. Touch a DTI to the inside faces of the four flats.

The casting for the machine base was once part of a production clamp used to assemble wood window sash. I grabbed a pair of these on their way to the dumpster thinking they would someday be the perfect base for something: straight, stiff, stable, and right at waist height.timber borer 3a.jpg

I’ve laid out the location for 4 holes to be drilled and tapped to anchor the quill to the base.
timber borer 3b.jpg

I was really pleased with how solid the quill felt after it was bolted to the machine base. I set an indicator on it to tram the base and was surprised when it trammed true on the first try. I did go to some lengths with this in mind, but I’d have to say I got lucky here.

timber borer 3c.jpg

The motor is 1 ½ hp, 3500 rpm, 3 phase. It weighs a ton, so it can’t just hang off the back end of the quill. It will ride on a trolley made out of a piece of ½” aluminum plate with some small ball bearings as wheels. The plate has a couple of grooves cut in it that register on the motor’s cooling fins, and the bearings are placed to have clearance under the motor.

I pulled the motor apart to reverse the end housings so the electrical box would be on the back side away from the operator. Inside, the front bearing, with a zerk fitting, was encased in a ball of grease. The back bearing, with just an access cover, looked like it hadn’t been lubricated since it was built 50 years ago. I cleaned one and greased the other, and they both seem to turn fine.

timber borer 3d.jpg

I was less lucky with the motor alignment. For starters, I’d built in a slight twist; so the motor trolley wouldn’t sit evenly side to side on its track. I had to elongate the bolt holes in this coupling between the motor and quill about 3 degrees on the rotary table.

timber borer 3e.jpg

The motor trolley track is supported by the last cutoff pieces of the 6” channel iron. There was a high spot in the middle that the motor would not roll over, and it took several trial-and-error cuts to trim down the center supports before the movement was smooth end to end.

I spent the most on the electrical components. I rummaged through my old switches, but they looked and felt clunky. I thought the machine was looking coherent for an assembly of odd parts and spent some time picking and choosing a starter and enclosure that fit in visually.

timber borer 3f.jpg

Now we’re getting to the business end of the drill. The long travel and high spindle speed would whip the drill around without a support bearing close to the workpiece. I bored and reamed the bushing on the right using the ground shank of an R-8 collet as a bore gauge. It’s just under 1” diameter, so it should work with the smallest drill I plan on using. Then I used the R-8 collet like a mandrel to center and align the bushing in the lathe chuck. I turned the o.d. to 1.375” to fit the bearing and threaded it 16tpi for the retaining nut on the left.

timber borer 3g.jpg

I bored the support column for the bushing bearing on the lathe faceplate. I started out with a longer piece than needed so I could clamp it on both ends and for balance. Originally, I planned to cut off one end and bore the cut piece to make a clamshell housing for the bearing, but this is one of the best fitting bores I’ve ever made. The bearing tapped into the bore and refused to budge, so I decided to use it as it looks in the previous picture. I’ll see if it holds up.

timber borer 3h.jpg

The drill extension is a critical turning. I center drilled a 1” cold rolled rod both ends and set it between centers to true it end to end. Then I switched back to the 4-jaw chuck, centered it again, and recut the centers for a true alignment. At the same time, I drilled and reamed the drill end to 3/8” to hold the drill shanks. I’ll be using carbide tipped Forstner bits. I think the 3500rpm spindle speed would burn hss drill bits at the larger diameter. Back between centers, the chuck end was turned down to 5/8” with the very tip down to ½”. The tip will pass through the chuck, which has an open back, and into a centered bore in the spindle itself. With the drive dog on the chuck end, the extension is ground in a single pass end to end until it is a slip fit in the bushing. The compound is set to 60 degrees so the radial infeed is half the compound feed. There has to be just enough friction in that fit so the bushing will rotate with the drill extension as it passes through it. I expect a really serious person would heat treat this piece, but that is beyond me.

timber borer 3i.jpg

Everything is lined up to locate the bolts that will fasten the support bearing to the base. The quill moves easily through its full travel. The drill extension turns without binding, and the bushing turns with it all the way also. I did need to set some paper shims into the chuck to center the drill extension. Headstock chucks are a bit of a puzzle to me. They just have a single hole for a chuck key, and I wonder if this one is worn unevenly because of that.timber borer 3j.jpg

I’m starting with a 1 ½” drill. The drill is advanced a bit to show the set screws that secure it.timber borer 3k.jpg

What a fantastic re-use of a very stout casting ... good save! And that's a great looking machine.

Will such a large boring bit (even carbide tipped) live happily at 3800 RPM ... or is that a 3 phase motor that you can slow down?

So one thought I have, if the bit were to get jammed, maybe a knot or what ever cause, the only thing that I can see preventing the motor from becoming a rotating object is the gear rack. Would it be benefitial to provide some torshional control to the motor? It appears to be hanging on the quill shaft and supported by only the wheels.

I'm used to high spindle speeds with carbide tools. I run 3" diameter shaper cutters at 8500rpm, so I think a 2" drill will work at 3500rpm.
The motor an quill weigh a ton. I would not like to see them start to spin. Hopefully, the drill would slip in the chuck and the breaker would throw before that happened.

The narrow base is going to need some side-to-side bracing. This has been a metalworking project so far, but for this the best material I have lying around is some 3 ½” thick blocks of laminated strand lumber I worked with in the 1990’s. I think the woodwork will complement the lines of the cast iron base with a couple of large mortise and tenon joints, tapers, and some corner rounding.

timber borer 3l.jpg

I used up an old can of polyurethane varnish as a primer and painted the brace with the same metal enamel I used on the casting. Most of the brace is on the back side of the base, away from the operator.

timber borer 3m.jpg

Finally, I really cleaned out my scraps to make the hold down clamp: cutoffs of reused steel channel left over from a previous project, a piece of black iron pipe, the end of a rectangular tube with some welds ground down, and a few tail ends of round bar stock.

timber borer 3n.jpg

Started out with a hole saw.

timber borer 3o.jpg

And finished with a boring head.

timber borer 3p.jpg

The clamp screw is ¾” x 6tpi stub acme. The screw thread is not as deep as a standard acme, so the bore in the nut is a bit bigger. I ground two tools: one for the screw and a very small one to fit in a ½” boring bar for the nut. The extra little bit of room in the bore was really needed to squeeze this tool in. I’d put a CBN wheel in the grinder since the last time I did close tolerance tool grinding like this. It put polished edges on the tools that I thought cut very clean for many light passes on the internal threads.

timber borer 3q.jpg

The first test bores. The clamp is very solid, and the workpiece didn’t shift at all either during the end or side boring. The intersections of the holes show the drill was boring true.
There’s always something about a first cut that’s unexpected. I hadn’t thought at all about how much sawdust these large holes would make.

timber borer 3r.jpg

From here on, it’s a woodworking project. I’ll make test joints like these using some redwood 1 ½” rods I made a long time ago. I’ll talk to a local guy who cuts tamarack timbers. In my minds eye it’s an open pavilion with a fancy roof and a fire hearth in the center—a place to sit on cold or wet days, which we have here in abundance, and enjoy my woods. Thanks to all who provided comments. Hope you found something here to enjoy. John G

timber borer 3s.jpg

John,
Impressive work, well thought out and executed. Thanks very much for sharing.

Truly a most wondrous sawdust factory! Thanks for taking us along on your journey.

Back