Big welding job for a poor welder

Keep in mind if you weld it your libel for any failures

I'd be very reluctant do a job like this. It is not just welding, it is also engineering. You need to understand something about strength of materials and structural mechanics. The welding equipment you have is marginal. A guy welded up a trailer to pick up free hot tubs from Craigslist. He came when I was removing mine, and there was only one decent weld on the whole thing. It was not for on road duty, and the heaviest weight it would see was the hot tub. Nobody was near it when it was being tugged. I felt very safe, but winching a stuck truck is a completely different matter. I would want the services of a mechanical engineer, or at least a physicist with Beam Buddy.

My intentions are not to "tell you what to do" or pass any judgment, only to provide my perspective as food for thought.
Hey, I needed the wake up call. It's all fun and games until a cable under 10,000 pounds of tension breaks loose from its mooring and interacts with a lawyer. Making things is fun, but making things for other people is a crap shoot. I know my buddy would never sue me, but if he's planning to do recovery work, who knows about the insurance companies covering any of the vehicles he touches. He shouldn't be doing recovery work as a hobby either. All of this is just a really bad idea.

Hey, better to figure this out before I made any parts. I'm going to tell him I consulted with some friends, and decided to pass on this job.

Hey, I needed the wake up call. It's all fun and games until a cable under 10,000 pounds of tension breaks loose from its mooring and interacts with a lawyer. Making things is fun, but making things for other people is a crap shoot. I know my buddy would never sue me, but if he's planning to do recovery work, who knows about the insurance companies covering any of the vehicles he touches. He shouldn't be doing recovery work as a hobby either. All of this is just a really bad idea.

Hey, better to figure this out before I made any parts. I'm going to tell him I consulted with some friends, and decided to pass on this job.
I have met the people from the DOT not a fun or reasonable lot, those.

Back