Bill Smith Skeleton

cyrusb

Registered
Registered
Here's a Skeleton clock under test that was built from Bill Smiths plans, and the last pre designed clock I would ever build. The pillars are hand turned with a graver and tee rest, frames are hand pierced with a saw. This now finished unit beats out seconds in my family room.

MVC-009X.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Some other views of the test. I recomend this project to anyone who's interested in building a clock. It's well thought out,and a very pleasing first attempt. I believe it was featured in model engineer many years ago.

MVC-008X.JPG MVC-003X.JPG

Turned on a foot-powered treadle lathe I suppose? ;)

Veddy Nice clock.

PaulS

author=Pauls77 link=topic=2732.msg18671#msg18671 date=1310494109

Turned on a foot-powered treadle lathe I suppose? ;)

Veddy Nice clock.

PaulS
I wish, but really, the home made yellow gear cutter in the background (set up for drilling lantern pinnions) and a simple lathe were all that was needed. Later I pantographed numerals on the face.

Nice clock. I suppose those drawings are protected. And there is no way to get a copy.

It was not just drawings, but a whole binder of instructions from what I think was a model engineer series. It was on loan to me and I returned it. There had to be at least 100 pages (both sides), with everything from making a depthing tool to epicycloidal form relieved cutter making. I'm telling you, this Bill Smith guy was something else. He may even have some videos. I'll check around.

Back