Binding Quill

Bob Loers

Registered
Registered
I have recently been having issues with my quill binding when drilling and mill plunging.. I wondered if anybody had any thoughts on quill disassembly. Because of the way it feels, I think there's a retaining pin in the gear on the shaft for the handle that may be partly sheared. It drills, then drops about .060 or .080 when it finally breaches the part and lately it seems to be binding on the way back up. Do Burke mills have a spring in the quill to return them to the up position? If so, it doesn't seem to be working either and I can't seem to find any good videos or

Can you identify which model Burke mill you have? This would make it much easier to assist you.

I have a Burke MVN, sorry.. I don't know what happened on the last post, guess I lost my train of thought...
so.. I don't know if I was brave or stupid but I took it apart to find out what was happening... the ultimate cause was that the quill is ACME thread and in the bottom there are two sets of thrust washers, one internal, one external that prevent backlash and allows rotation.. the external set and retaining nut are completely missing. it was causing the quill to drive up and it was catching an edge on the head casing. A quick trip to McMaster Carr and I found the thrust washers I need now I just have to locate or make a suitable locking nut.

Thanks for the reply Canus, I have found that if I have a question on my machine, this is the best place for me to ask cuz people here seem friendly.
Mechaniic Bob

Attachments

• 20201228_080151[1].jpg
    20201228_080151[1].jpg
    4 MB · Views: 8
Back