Birmingham 1440 reverse problems.

Blackship12

Registered
Registered
Hello all,
TLDR electrical dunce can’t figure out how to wire the lathe to have forward and reverse rotation.

I have a Birmingham ct-1440g lathe. Taiwanese made and effectively a rebadged version of every other Brand out there. I’ve had the machine for about a year and recently decided to mount to lathe to the floor. It’s currently on adjustable rubber feet and it’s not rigid enough for the turning I’m starting to get into. Along with bolting to the floor I’d like to actually level the machine. When I got the machine it had no plug wire. Currently wired for 220v. According to the induction motor cover plate diagram the only way to get it to run reverse is by physically changing the location of the capacitor wire in the control box which is on the back of the machine and will be against a wall which will be a struggle to get to when the machine is bolted to the floor.
I’m not sure if I can post pics yet as I haven’t posted 3 times yet, but certainly can to show what I’m working with. I’ve searched a lot for info on this particular machine and come up pretty empty. It is different enough to all the other machines that I can’t get accurate enough info to tell me if it’s possible. And I suck when it comes to electricity and I cannot figure it out myself. I’m usually a try and do it yourself to learn but, this one I just can’t.

Does this help?
maxresdefault.jpg

For me, not really. I’m fairly stupid when it comes to anything more than the basics of electronics. I’ve seen this a lot in my searching but can’t figure out how to convert this info into practical application for my situation.

I’ve spent about 3-4 hrs on the phone with my dad who was an ET on subs for 20 years and he couldn’t help figure this out with me.

The motor also only has a single external capacitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f2d6ecde35f2a288d4bedca2363683b2.jpg

Inside the box on the back of the machine.

0d8b2fc1f97f33548739ffcbaaf602ff.jpg

Here is a simple diagram showing voltage to the box on the electrical motor when the lever at the carriage is moved either up or down.
Yellow(#4) is a constant power as it’s a pigtail from the wall power labeled m5 in the control box. I assume it’s to run a coolant pump if there was one.

I didn't realize you had a panel box. There are three control relays in there, and reversing should be a part of that wiring. Do you have a manual and schematic?

So, it looks like you just need to get five motor wires (3 colors + 2 blue) on the four terminal posts that energize the windings in the motor. You will want to know how it's currently wired. If everything checks out according to the schematic, it should be easy.

Unfortunately I don’t have a manual or schematic. I have looked a lot over the last year and I can’t find one online. I’ve seen manuals by grizzly, enco, and currently the importer of choice is Precision Matthews. And the closest I’ve seen to a correct schematic is from Precision Matthews.
I’ll post some screen shots so the PM manual schematic.
658e0401cc1656886a4fbaf188385dee.jpg

Back