Bison 6" 3 jaw chuck

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
When Paul gave me the lathe it came with a 3 jaw chuck & since I was giving it to a friend & I needed a better 3 jaw I kept the 3 jaw, I went & took it off the lathe yesterday & until just a few minutes ago did not realize what I had. It's a 6" Bison that costs a ton of money. My gratitude to Paul cannot be expressed enough. I was gonna mount it on the extra back plate I bought when I bought my Collet chuck but it's only 5" so I guess I need to buy another BP (back plate not Bridgeport) since this is such a nice chuck I want to be extremely precise and do the mounting right. So you guys can weigh in with tips & advice. Does this chuck have precision adjust ability?

DSC00451.JPG DSC00452.JPG DSC00453.JPG

I figured you knew it was a Bison Chuck and thats the reason you wanted it.......

Paul

I figured you knew it was a Bison Chuck and thats the reason you wanted it.......

Paul

Not that smart, just lucky:biggrin: Mine is in very bad shape. Is it an adjust true or do you remember? If so am I still gonna be able to tale the Clausing back plate off & make a new one?

Was gonna start on it last night but my sugar was way up and I had no energy.

''''''''''''''''''''''Not that smart, just lucky:biggrin:'''''''''''''''''''

Is the above a request for a poll?:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Looking at the photos from the back of the chuck I see what looks like 6 socket head screws and what looks like 3 locating pins. This would lead me to think not adjustable unless there are some screws on the outside diameter of the chuck body bearing on the pins. Just my 2cents, don't know about these things.:))

If you decide to make a backplate you may want to investigate what it takes to make it adjustable before starting.

Looks like a great chuck. You owe Old Iron big time!

Benny

I installed an aftermarket japanese chuck on my southbend 9. I also had to order a backplate for it to adapt it to the spindle threads. When I first mated the chuck to the backplate and spun it on, it was indicating .009" off. There's ashoulder that locates the chuck to the plate and they're sandwiched together with 3 socket cap screws. By spinning the chuck 1/3 of the way and changing the holes that paired together and tapping the chuck slightly with a plastic hammer I was able to get that chuck within .ooo5 indicating it on a 1/2" piece of drill rod chucked up in the chuck. ; gues the point is that you can dial these things in by counteracting the offset. Get my drift. You can probably make a backplate for it of even buy an inexpensive one. As long as you get alittle creative wiith dialing it in you shouldd be able to get it just right provided your chuck is repeatably accurate.

Not that smart, just lucky:biggrin: Mine is in very bad shape. Is it an adjust true or do you remember? If so am I still gonna be able to tale the Clausing back plate off & make a new one?

Was gonna start on it last night but my sugar was way up and I had no energy.

Its not a adjust true so myour good to go. i prolly shouldn't tell this on here!!!!! But go to PM and do a search on johnoder post he had one on how to make the poor mans ajust true chuck. It is fairly easy to do.

Paul

Back