Bison 6 Jaw, 8 inch Chuck Gamble

will.mcray

Registered
Registered
Came across this Bison 6 Jaw 8 inch with D1-6 back plate Set-Tru (2816) chuck with two piece jaws for a low price. I was apprehensive that it was a scam, but after some thought decided to message the seller. Took a bit to get the communication going, which I for sure thought it was a scam. He might have been waiting to see what sort of offers he would get, but he did finally respond.

Now the chuck looked in good condition, but the environment the chuck was sitting in in the pictures would make one believe this was a scam with trash and blankets and stuff laying around it. We agreed on a price for $250 shipped. I waited to see if I was going to get had. Couple weeks go buy and no chuck. Yup, I was suckered into a scam and how do I explain myself to my wife...... I Contacted the seller and he claimed he shipped it. Another week goes by and nothing. I contact the seller again and asked if he can look into this with the post office. I was ready to light up PayPal with a scam report, but the seller assured me he shipped it. He then sent me a picture of the receipt when he went to the post office and I ran the tracking number and indeed it did ship. I then submitted a missing package report thinking I will never see the chuck, but must try. Three weeks goes by and right before Christmas the post man shows up with a postal bin with the chuck in it! looks like it got wet with rust covering it.

Two screws were missing because the seller disassemble it to put in a flat rate box, but other than that, everything was there. I took the chuck completely apart and put it in the solvent tank over night. Cleaned it up and lightly oiled it while I wait on the Bison grease I ordered to show up. The other day, I came out to look at it and noticed one of the jaws looked different from the others. Looking closer, the one master jaw and hard top jaw were different serial numbers from the other five. This was the number 6 jaw and the master jaw was for the number 6 as stamped.

Sick to my stomach, I walked away and short the door because I did not know if the one jaw would scroll correctly... Today, I came out to the shop and assembled the chuck to put on the lathe to see what the runout is. To my surprise the jaws lined up and scrolled in and out just fine. This is a set-tru check, so with 1/2 ground rod, the initial runout was .017. Adjusting the set-tru, I was able to remove all the runout. I put a piece of aluminum in the chuck and made a cut. It cut perfect with no runout. So a little smile came to life on my face...

Looking at the jaws, the back side of the hard top jaws don't align prefect because of the one jaw. I am left with a dilemma. Grind the inner and outer jaws to base line them together if I can or get a new set of top jaws that match. They issue I have is, the one master jaw and top jaw are 5/16-18. The other five jaws are 3/8-16. I thought of getting a set of top jaws with 5/16 bores and drill them out to 3/8 for the 5 jaws and the one will just bolt up.

So what are your thoughts and opinions?

Attached are pictures of the chuck after I cleaned it up and one picture of the chuck from the ad.

Attachments

• IMG_E5758.JPG
    IMG_E5758.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_E5759.JPG
    IMG_E5759.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_E5760.JPG
    IMG_E5760.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5751.JPG
    IMG_5751.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5757.JPG
    IMG_5757.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_E5648.JPG
    IMG_E5648.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 51
Looking at the jaws, the back side of the hard top jaws don't align prefect because of the one jaw. I am left with a dilemma. Grind the inner and outer jaws to base line them together if I can or get a new set of top jaws that match.

So what are your thoughts and opinions?

It does not matter how a tool looks, what matters is that it does its job.

It’s not the looks that concern me, it’s how it works. Chucking to the outside is the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must say,appart from the concerns you have, IMHO,you got a sweet deal and for that I am a bit jealous. Sooooooo this one is for you.
:you suck:

CONGRATS,I hope you can solve the jaw issue.

Keep watching for jaws but being able to use the inside jaws only for $250 is still a good deal. You can always remove three and use only the matching ones for outside work. Six jaws for large diameter is usually overkill and I'd rather have extra chucks than removing jaws. Dave

Had to chuckle reading your experience with delivery. The exact same thing - and nearly the exact same timing - happened to me on a Rohm - New Open Box 8" 3-jaw. Bought and paid on eBay/PayPal, the item was confirmed mailed, and I received a USPS tracking number. Went two or three weeks following it with no activity on USPS tracking system, and they finally declared it to be a 'lost package'. I contacted eBay and got a full refund deposited into my PayPal account. Two days later, the package showed up. The box was very well packaged and taped, so even though the bottom of the box had obviously been heavily exposed to moisture, the package held. Dismantled the chuck, submersed it in Evaporust overnight, cleaned and reassembled, and it is indeed like new.

Everybody's a happy camper: eBay, PayPal, the vendor, and me. But if I were a gambler, I would have given odds I'd never see this chuck.

Regards

Interesting that the seller didn't turn that one jaw around in the picture with the tape measure.

Today I ground the outer jaws and face. Next will be the internal jaws.
01bb3d61dcd0222ab7e1503d1a87635e.jpg
bfe057fbcc80f3e6adc176b28e364752.jpg

Last edited:
Back