Bison vs Gator chucks

Another option instead of the Gator, Precision Matthews sells 4 jaw chucks made in Taiwan, I am very happy with the 8” I have for my lathe. It looks like they only have up to 10”, so that might be too small for you.

I have two Bison chucks (8" 3-jaw, 14" 4-jaw) and a Gator (6" 6-jaw). The Gator might be a smidge nicer, but I don't feel like I'm "making do" with either brand.

GsT

I'm assuming that your having a 10" chuck it is not a D1-4 mounting, I have a 6" 3 jaw, and an 8" 4 jaw steel PB left over from my last lathe.

In todays world a name does not always guarantee a quality product. It is a definitely a buyer beware world. Purchased a Pratt-Bernard three jaw chuck and backing plate. The hardinge taper on the backing plate was so chowdered I had to remachine it. It seems like companies change ownership and sourcing so much now days it is hard to know what you are buying. Good luck.

Gator is a direct copy of the Bison chuck in most cases, one is made in Poland and the other is made in China. They Bison (and also TMX) chucks are better quality, but then again will you be able to notice the difference in a 4J independent. There are other factors such as the grind of the jaws, through hole size, 2-piece jaws or 1 piece, forged steel vs. semi-steel, direct mount or back plate, RPM rating, etc. A direct mount will save you quite a few $$, as well as a shorter width. You need to compare the features you want and look up the specific model number and also pricing. Gator is usually 25% less than the Bison, other brands to consider comparable to Bison is TMX, PBA and a few others. Note, PBA now has the cheaper Atlas line, basic over priced Chinese manufactured chucks/back plates. On a direct mount with 2 piece jaws (allows the use of soft jaws), Gator is probably a reasonable chuck for a 4J independent, scroll and collet I would be inclined to go with a better quality chuck manufacturer. Ajax Tools Supply tends to have very good pricing these days. The Gator semi-steel D1-6 in a 10" 4J 1-321-1006 is around $800. If you need a higher RPM rating then you need forged steel which is quite a bit more.

The $800 Gator seems like a good deal. I usually stay under 1500 rpm. Cheapest Bison direct mount I found on eBay was $1250 if I remember correctly.

I have quite a few chucks in the shop including Bison and Gator although most of them are of the forged steel variety. I have three Gator chucks, 12.5” forged set-true that is an excellent chuck. A 6” six-jaw forged set-true that is also an excellent chuck but the backplate which is also steel was oversized – meaning slightly loose on the spindle taper. I had to regrind the backplate. Not a big deal but it was a little extra work.

I also had a 6” three-jaw direct mount cast iron chuck that had loose jaws from a very sloppy fit. It had side-to-side movement. I returned this chuck. A friend has a 6” set-true cast iron chuck which is an older Buck chuck copy – meaning single pinion and six face screws. This version was also an excellent chuck - but I don’t think they make it anymore.

So, my experience with Gator is a little mixed. The forged steel Gator chucks seem to be better than the cast iron versions, but then they’re more money. In general, I think the better chucks these days come from Europe (e.g. Bison, Toolmex, TOS, the English Pratt & Bernard, Rohm).

Back