Bit the bullet and ordered a used Starrett combination square

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I’ve had this 12” no brand piece of junk since the fire. I hate to complain and I’m sure it was a gift.
I threw it away yesterday after it slipped one too many times.
I saw a good clean name brand square on Ebay today. I paid less than $50 delivered.
Still too much but I’m not going to pay $19.99 for a new one from Ace.
Nothing like quality Tools!!

Congratulations! I'm looking for a good quality name brand combination square as well. I check out auctions and garage sales but I have not yet found one in decent condition for a decent price. There is a local guy who is always selling them on ebay and Facebook Marketplace but he wants over $100.

I have a favorite search on EB for Brown & Sharpe tools and see many combination sets listed, some pricey, and some not so much, If anything, B&S tools are often nicer than Starrett. Most of my tools are by Starrett, mostly because B&S did not have much sales Prescence in the Western states, having said that, I think that many of their tools were finer quality than any others. All that I am saying is do not get hung up on one brand, and don't buy crap from Asia. Jeff, $ 50 is not too much for a name brand tool, delivered (especially).

I have a favorite search on EB for Brown & Sharpe tools and see many combination sets listed, some pricey, and some not so much, If anything, B&S tools are often nicer than Starrett. Most of my tools are by Starrett, mostly because B&S did not have much sales Prescence in the Western states, having said that, I think that many of their tools were finer quality than any others. All that I am saying is do not get hung up on one brand, and don't buy crap from Asia. Jeff, $ 50 is not too much for a name brand tool, delivered (especially).
I would totally agree. I have several B&S and Starrett combination squares. I think the first set I bought was a Starrett and if I remember correctly, it was in the $50.00 price range new. The others were inherited from family members. Both my wife's grandfathers were machinists, and her father worked his way through engineering school in a machine shop.

When they passed, I inherited a ton of their tools. All of them had a combination of Starrett, B&S, and other lesser-known brands. They took good care of them, so even though some were nearly 100 years old they were still in pristine condition. When I go to use one, I just pick what I want out of the drawer. They are so similar in quality and operation I don't even look at the name.

Maybe a little off topic. Sometimes when looking to buy good quality scales and such, I have found that I can buy directly from Starrett for very little more than eBay used prices. It is always a good idea to check more that one source.

I’ve had this 12” no brand piece of junk since the fire. I hate to complain and I’m sure it was a gift.
I threw it away yesterday after it slipped one too many times.
I saw a good clean name brand square on Ebay today. I paid less than $50 delivered.
Still too much but I’m not going to pay $19.99 for a new one from Ace.
Nothing like quality Tools!!

Did someone mention Starrett squares?
I need to update my ebay account and get rid of some.

Attachments

• IMG_20230806_100214028.jpg
    IMG_20230806_100214028.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 13
This is the best deal I've found on new, US made, high quality squares and scales.

Taylor tools is a smallish vendor of mostly woodworking equipment, but they also sell blems from PEC. PEC manufactures in the US and makes fantastic stuff (I think they brand some of their gear as Starret). The items I've ordered have been perfect, except for the blurring of the name.

Well worth the money, if you can handle a minor cosmetic issue. I once had a problem with my order from Taytools, and the customer service was fantastic.

Back