Bit the bullet and ordered a used Starrett combination square

Yeah, but I don't know how to price them.
If I put them on auction the buyers will sort out their value.

Yeah, it takes a little more work on your part to research ebay first.

50.00!
My first Starrett combination square with protractor head and centering head was 180.00 back in 1981-1983.
Had to have it payroll deducted for about 2-3 months.... my B&S 1-2 mic purchased experienced but still with a nice appearance, carbide faces and tenths, was 50.00 about the same time period.

One thing people have forgotten is
American made products were expensive.

Have looked a couple of times.
Maybe you can find one.
I believe the large ones are a no. 8
The head is 8 3/8" on the long side.
Blade is 1 1/2 X 24"
Here is a photo I just took and one I grabbed off the net that shows something of their relative size.
It looks like Starrett still makes them. About $600 for the blade and head.

Attachments

• IMG_20230806_104826228.jpg
    IMG_20230806_104826228.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 7
  • e05ea7ac54efcdf1e17d37c0c0d4052a.jpg
    e05ea7ac54efcdf1e17d37c0c0d4052a.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 7
50.00!
My first Starrett combination square with protractor head and centering head was 180.00 back in 1981-1983.
Had to have it payroll deducted for about 2-3 months.... my B&S 1-2 mic purchased experienced but still with a nice appearance, carbide faces and tenths, was 50.00 about the same time period.

I bought mine about the same time but got them through a supplier that gave the employees of the company I worked for huge discounts on Starrett tools. At the time I bought a 1" micrometer, 2" micrometer, 3" micrometer, combination square, 196 back plunger indicator set, and 2 6" rules. The total bill was less than $200.00. I couldn't believe the price, so I asked them to double check. They showed me the price sheet and I was shocked to say the least.

We were buying 6" Starrett rules by the dozen to give them to mechanics, mill rights, and technicians who helped install new equipment or helped build new facilities. The rules were costing us $2.00 each. I lost the last one I had about a year ago. That's when I found out they cost a little over $32.00 today.

Another often overlooked brand is PEC. Made in the USA and IMHO every bit as good as a Starrett or B&S.
I saw them some time ago on I think the Penn Tools site and was wondering how good they are. I’ll have to give them a look next time I need something.

I have a couple that I got from when I got my 9x20 lathe. The lady gave me some Starrett combination squares from her late husband. One is a complete set Set with Square, Center and Reversible Protractor Head

I need a replacement square blade for one. Need to figure out the size.

Last edited:
50.00!

A new Starrett combo square today costs about $150. $180 in 1982 would be almost $570 today. So the price of these tools has dropped significantly. I bought my first Starrett combo square around the same time, 84-85 it was an investment!

Back