Black oxide sockets

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A set of black oxide sockets that got water in a tray and surface rusted, after soaking in Evaporust, Can sockets be heated, and quenched in oil?

Why would you want to heat and quench in oil? That is a heat treat process to change the properties of the metal, rust and Evaporust do not have any effect on properties of the metal. By heating and quenching you could either make the sockets soft where they would stretch out in use or brittle where they could shatter. The heat treat process for sockets is very specific for times and temperatures and procedure and a closely guarded secret by the socket makers.

If it is the color you are trying to get back, That is a surface finish. I often use Oxpho Blue from Brownells. Just wipe it on with a cotton swab. Rinse in water, dry thoroughly and then apply oil. Done and looks nice and holds up fairly well.

Last edited:
I am concerned about heat treatment effects, waste oil leaves a nice coating, but the process is questionable for sockets. That's why I'm asking, I'll check the link, thanks...

Back