Resolved Blue banner suddenly blocking half my screen

jmarkwolf

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The Home Shop Machinist blue banner, normally a thin block at the top of my screen, is now blocking half my entire screen. What gives?

Hey Guys, I know you're busier than a cat covering up doodee.....the backup we're running now has this same banner problem I was having but with a twist. The difference is that it also does it on the Firefox browser. Maybe when you get all the other kinks ironed out this will be fixed as well.
Greg
Can you post a screen shot of what it looks like on yours?
I've been trying to replicate this on (3) workstations (2) on win7 one on Win10 using all the browsers and I have not seen it.

Upvote 0
Can you post a screen shot of what it looks like on yours?
I've been trying to replicate this on (3) workstations (2) on win7 one on Win10 using all the browsers and I have not seen it.
@jmarkwolf @Seedtick - I've tested this on Seedtick's profile and on a Test user profile. Three different browsers - I'm not able to replicate this. I think that you were seeing this during our restoration of the site and this was a problem prior to the crash last week. That may explain why you were seeing it again.

Right now, I believe you will find that there is no problem now that the site has been restored, but I've encountered some pretty strange things this weekend so I won't be surprised to find out you are still experiencing this.

However, I need to see it. Please report back in here and let us know if you are still experiencing this problem - screen shots on different tabs of the website would be useful, i.e., screen shot of the problem on "Forums", on "Chat", on "Home", etc.

Upvote 0
Hi Gentlemen, things are back like they're supposed to be. Thank you for all of your work.
Greg

Upvote 0
Not for me. Using Chromium on a Linux (Ubuntu 18) system. The fat menu bar plopping itself partway down the screen is alive and well. On my system it most often occurs when I click the back-arrow button to go back to a previous page. Clicking on the "Forums" button usually clears it up.....until the next time.

For me the problem predates the crash that occurred earlier this month.

This forum is the only one I have had a problem with. If it was a generic Chromium problem I think I'd see it other places.
I wonder if it is related to the ads that are being thrown in (I'm not a Supporting member). If moderators are classified as Supporters that could explain why they are not having this problem..

Upvote 0
Homebrewed. Anyway you would be willing to try it on Firefox? I had Chromium on my Ubuntu 18 laptop as well and just couldn't tolerate the bugs anymore so I switched to Brave. When I found that to be a hassle, I switched to Firefox on Linux/Ubuntu and on Windows 10.

I've logged in as you, Seedtick, jmarkwolf and our test user for registered groups. No blue bar of death. This helps us see things when they are set to your permissions and not as a moderator.

Chromium is the only thing I can think of as the potential issue for the moment.

Upvote 0
Homebrewed. Anyway you would be willing to try it on Firefox? I had Chromium on my Ubuntu 18 laptop as well and just couldn't tolerate the bugs anymore so I switched to Brave. When I found that to be a hassle, I switched to Firefox on Linux/Ubuntu and on Windows 10.

I've logged in as you, Seedtick, jmarkwolf and our test user for registered groups. No blue bar of death. This helps us see things when they are set to your permissions and not as a moderator.

Chromium is the only thing I can think of as the potential issue for the moment.

I spent a couple of hours on the site last night and it hit me another 3 or 4 times. Each time it happened I was clicking a thread link to open it in a new tab.
I don't know if it matters but I'm running ubuntu 16.04 and using chrome. Thanks for the help.
Greg

Upvote 0
I'll reluctantly give Firefox a try. I became impatient with an earlier version because it would (apparently) start doing some housekeeping and quit responding for minutes at a time. When it started doing that several times a day I dumped it in favor of Chromium.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I hate to insist that it will work, because it may not. But I have had extremely good luck with Firefox at this point. I run my laptop on Ubuntu 18 and found Chromium to be lacking the ability to run in a stable environment. I don't know how well it is really supported. It may be that Firefox doesn't work for you but it is worth a try.

Upvote 0
Back