Bluetooth Wireless Android tablet DRO for iGaging scales

mikie, that's beautiful. im almost thinking I could do it following what you wrote. I am private emailing you info on my craftsman mounts. second try is a breeze :)

David,
I finally got around to posting decent step-by-step instructions.
Take a look at this post: http://www.yuriystoys.com/2013/07/arduino-dro-build-instructions.html. Additionally this page: http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/android-dro.html gathers the relevant information in one place.

I'll be posting more info over the next few weeks (have a sizable back log of "should've done long time ago" items :( )

Thank you
Yuriy

Last edited:
Very interesting.
I just may have to give it a whirl.
In fact I ordered the Aquino Uno R3, Proto shield and Bluetooth Slave module all for $31 shipped.
I also ordered an HP Touchpad.
Another upgrade for the South Bend 9a.

Looks like a good time. :thumbsup:

Maxx.

I am working on this same project right now. Used the MSP430 version. I have the DRO up and running but mounted in project box yet. Waiting for warmer weather to go out to the shop and mount the scales. Per Yuri site the ardunio can do USB. The MSP430 can also with a FTDP? adapter instead of the blue tooth card. I hope this works as good as it reads in his blog.

I did Yuriy's wireless dro for igaging scales today.

$30 Arduino Uno Rev3, $10 Bluetooth Slave module from ebay, $24 in scale connectors from digikey ($8 per scale), three 10K ohm res, one 220 ohm res, one 330 ohm res , Arduino Proto shield with breadboard, few pieces of jumper wire (Arduino Uno, Proto shield, breadboard, jumper wire, and resistors all from Radio Shack), iGaging scales (sold by Grizzly and others), sketch, and a used $100 ebay bluetooth equipped android 9.7 tablet = Wireless Digital Readout!

The instructions are on Yuriy's site linked below.

Here it is with one scale wired

http://www.yuriystoys.com/2012/09/arduino-bluetooth-module-wireless-dro.html

P6174404_zps21a26620.jpg'

P6174405_zpsf8a66ef8.jpg

Mike to ask you a stupid question I got the x scale figured out how do I get the other ones wired up correctly and I'd like to put four scales on the breadboard appreciate any help you can give me thanks

PS also following your shop build on garage journal quite a place

Bob

CAM00074.jpg

Mike to ask you a stupid question I got the x scale figured out how do I get the other ones wired up correctly and I'd like to put four scales on the breadboard appreciate any help you can give me thanks

PS also following your shop build on garage journal quite a place

Bob

Bob,
I'm guessing where the resistors meet is your clock signal. For that you simply connect the other three scales' clocks to it. Data lines go to the corresponding data inputs in the Arduino (next three pins on the same side). You will need three more pull-down resistors for them as well...
Once that is done, connect the Vcc and Gnd of the three scales to the same rail where the first one is connected and you should be good to go.
Please let me know if that clarifies it any...

Regards
Yuriy

Thanks Yuriy

I'll try to figure it out tomorrow and take a picture before I turn it on.

Bob

I see the Android OS will run on the Banana PI (a single board computer, like raspberry pi only with more power).
Something else to try, probably more money than just getting a tablet though.
Anyone ever mount one of the I-Gaging scales under the mill table?
I think my old Enco might have enough space.

Bob,
I'm guessing where the resistors meet is your clock signal. For that you simply connect the other three scales' clocks to it. Data lines go to the corresponding data inputs in the Arduino (next three pins on the same side). You will need three more pull-down resistors for them as well...
Once that is done, connect the Vcc and Gnd of the three scales to the same rail where the first one is connected and you should be good to go.
Please let me know if that clarifies it any...

Regards
Yuriy

Yuriy

By George I think I got it couldn't figure out why "W" wouldn't work and finally realized I had to reload your new sketch then everything fell into place thanks again what do I need to purchase and install do to get a tach working.

Bob

Yuriy

By George I think I got it couldn't figure out why "W" wouldn't work and finally realized I had to reload your new sketch then everything fell into place thanks again what do I need to purchase and install do to get a tach working.

Bob

Bob,
It depends what sort of tach you want. For optical version you'll need one or two photo interrupter pairs and a few misc parts.
I'm waiting for a shipment from DealExtreme (it seems to be on the slow boat...). Once I get the parts I'll post the build instructions.

Thank you
Yuriy

- - - Updated - - -

I see the Android OS will run on the Banana PI (a single board computer, like raspberry pi only with more power).
Something else to try, probably more money than just getting a tablet though.
Anyone ever mount one of the I-Gaging scales under the mill table?
I think my old Enco might have enough space.

Well, the problem withe single board computers is the need for a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. By the time you get all of that, you might as well spend 100-150 USD for a proper tablet, which will have more uses than just the DRO...

Looks like Yuri has you figured out Bob. Thanks for the compliment!!

I kinda put this Android DRO off and installed a Centroid controller setup on a 1987 4500lb Millport CNC knee mill. Its been doing doing all the precision mill work for me and the rong fu RF30 is used where I just need to do some simple manual stuff like drilling. Still plan to get these installed!

Added a 1340 a couple months ago but it had a DRO installed already and that removed the immediate need for installing scales on the lathe.

I have been out in the new shop these last few weeks. Back out there tonight.

PA300039_zps0cd75b1d.jpg

P6260011_zps8dfcdb82.jpg

IMG_74748644104255_zps52067ca7.jpe

IMG_74734993591561_zps9ea3e99e.jpe

PA300039_zps0cd75b1d.jpg

P6260011_zps8dfcdb82.jpg

IMG_74748644104255_zps52067ca7.jpe

IMG_74734993591561_zps9ea3e99e.jpe

Back