Boat hardtop frame support spacers

thomb

Registered
Registered
Nothing special, these lift the aft supports for the hardtop frame so taller crew members don't bonk their head. Needed a slight angle on one face to sit flush. Originally these were going to be teak (turned out I didn't have enough) and weather conspired to prevent bottom paint removal so spent better part of half a day on these. Goodly amount of that figuring out what angle and how I'm going to hold the part. I've never machined an angle. Eventually I punted...aligned the 3 jaw on the rotary table so one jaw was perpendicular to the bolt holes and put a shim on that jaw, and carefully nibbled away with a flycutter till it finally cut all the way across.

spacers.jpgboatFrame.jpg

Single inboard Mercruiser 255 (GM 350). Probably original to the hull (1977 vintage). I think back then Satan worked as an engineer for them before taking his current job. I've donated my share of blood; cut and bent several perfectly good wrenches... This season added an electric fuel pump, unforeseen benefits: massive improvement in access to raw water pump, and noticeably quieter! Rewired too, which also improved access to a few hoses and fixed some gremlins.

She's no speed demon - cruises about 15 knots - tops out at 26. But I can make that speed nearly all conditions that I'm willing to go out in, and drink a cup of coffee without spilling it. While every project battles to the last, she really is an awesome boat. I dream of hitting Powerball and handing it off to boatyard with a blank check : ) Would love to see what a Yanmar 4LV250 would do....

Go twin 4 cyl diesel, I wish they had more beam, it's a nice hull. My hull was 8' 11" at the transom, and 9' 6" at the cab, and trailered.

Single inboard Mercruiser 255 (GM 350). Probably original to the hull (1977 vintage). I think back then Satan worked as an engineer for them before taking his current job. I've donated my share of blood; cut and bent several perfectly good wrenches... This season added an electric fuel pump, unforeseen benefits: massive improvement in access to raw water pump, and noticeably quieter! Rewired too, which also improved access to a few hoses and fixed some gremlins.

She's no speed demon - cruises about 15 knots - tops out at 26. But I can make that speed nearly all conditions that I'm willing to go out in, and drink a cup of coffee without spilling it. While every project battles to the last, she really is an awesome boat. I dream of hitting Powerball and handing it off to boatyard with a blank check : ) Would love to see what a Yanmar 4LV250 would do....
I completely understand how one can become so attached to a boat that has seen its share of use, but has been very good to you for many years of service. I have a 26' Chris Craft Scorpion that I have had since 2004. It was repowered just before I had purchased it. Right now I am dealing with a carborator issue and was dealing with water infiltration most of last season. My manifolds and risers lasted 16 years! So, I don't think that they owed me anything. I hope to have these issues resolved this year. My 3 kids were basically raised on this boat, and always tell me that that they had a great childhood. It's so easy to become attached to something that has been so good to you.
And as for the nay sayers that say that a boat is just a hole that you throw money into, they are the ones who rely on others for their knowledge and services to keep their boats alive.
I hope that you have a great season this year!

John J.

Btw, I can be spotted in my boat in the waters in and around, The North Shore, Cape Cod, Long Island Sound, Lake Winnipesaukee, and Lake Quinsigamond, all summer.

Thanks! You too! May be a bit far afield for you, but I had my Quadrajet overhauled by Hobbs Carburetor Shop, Pelham NH last year. Great guy to work with and it came back looking and functioning like brand new.

Back