Bodine Speed Reducer Motor

bug_hunter

Registered
Registered
Hey Guys,

Need a hand here.

I've acquired two Bodine Speed Reducer Motors.

Would like to bench verify their condition.

Both are Type NS1-33R, 115 volt AC, 1725 rpm, 1/20 HP, 12:1 reduction.

One has two frayed wires sticking out, and the other has five wires sticking out. How do I open and rewire them for testing?

Let me know if photos are required, and any questions I can answer.

Thanks a lot,

Greg

See below per their catalogue
1674859305825.png

Saw that, but the colors do not match up. Also, I need to replace the frayed wires on the one motor. Is it relatively easy to remove the motor end and access the ends of the wires for verification and replacement?

What colors on the 5 wire one? That one may require a run capacitor
Those motors should be fairly easy to open

Motor One: Two Black
Motor Two: Red + Blue; Blue + Black; Black /Yellow Stripe (When I say +, they are connected at the tail)

IMG-1651.jpg IMG-1652.jpg

I would use an ohmmeter to check continuity between leads and from leads to case. It's possible that one or more leads were replaced or
this motor was built as a custom for an OEM manufacturer, hence the different colors.
I would try to identify the two winding pairs and check if one wire connects to the case. Most likely it's a capacitor-run motor.
Shunt wound types are not as common in the wild AFAIK

The motor with two leads is a 115v motor- should be able to open it and fix the frayed wires

Last edited:
Checked continuity between all the lines and the motor case.

Red has continuity with Black.
Blue One has continuity with Blue Two.
Black w/Yellow has continuity with nothing.
Nothing has continuity with the motor case.

I replaced to two wires on motor one and it runs fine.

Contacted Bodine, and the motor was too old for their records, and suggested I speak with EMS (Electric Motor Services) out of Gilroy, CA. After a day, they forwarded me the appropriate wiring diagram.

Incredible service from both Bodine and EMS for a no $ assist!

Back