Bonehead move and being lazy question

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Ok, I have started to put the old 1961 J-head Bridgeport back together. I did the split nut conversion. Cleaned everything up. re-installed the cross slide and table. Adjusted backlash (got it down to 0.003 on the table and 0.004 on the cross slide). I got the rebuilt 8F powerfeed installed and working great. Had to slice a wee bit of the back of the dials to appropriately clear the housings. Working like a champ.

Bozo, bonehead move: I forgot to install the wiper plate and felt on the rear of the cross slide, and it will not go back on without removing the cross slide :cower:. My laziness is making me cringe to take that all back apart. so here is what I am considering doing.

Cut the felt retainer plate in half at the middle mounting hole. Machine a small spanner plate out of 1/8" steel. Then drill, countersink and use 1/8" dowel pins to stabilize it to the 2 retainer plate pieces. The center mounting screw will hold it on. The pins should hold both sections from moving, and the middle screw should secure the spanner block in place. If I used 1/8" steel stock, there will still be plenty of clearance when the table is all the way in. While this will not be original, it seems to me to be a quick and easy way to solve my bonehead move..............otherwise, I will throw away the 5 hours of re-assembly and adjustment :apologize: (and do it all over again).

Thoughts? suggestions? and yes, feel free to slap me around over the bozo move........................

PS: this could also be a "fix" if someone breaks their retainer plate during a cleanup/rebuild.......

Last edited:
I just something similar... last week I reinstalled and adjusted the saddle on a Taft-Peirce surface grinder that I am attempting to refurbish. This week, I went to install the rear horizontal way cover... and realized it had to go under the back of the saddle...

I went ahead and removed the saddle again and installed the cover.

My dad always said 'anything worth doing is worth doing right'... I think I would kick myself a few times, then remove the cross slide again... but thats just my opinion.

-Bear

Bear, yes, the "if something is worth doing, it is worth doing right" statement came from my father's father, my father, and from me to my kids. I couldn't agree more.......................I am going to kick the tires on Randy's suggestion and hopefully that will be "Bob's your uncle" or Cockford Dolly as a couple of the YouTube God's say! LOL. I can also get some things moved around, and wheel the forklift in. Then I will just pull the complete table/cross slide assembly off. That way, I only have to redo the cross slide backlash. Film at 11! LOL.

I did the same thing to my Series I machine nearly 20 years ago. I purchased a second set of wipers and a new retainer at the time so I could change them out later. Of course I put them in "a Special Place" so I wouldn't loose them, but somehow between then and now the memory as to where I put them is long gone. I need to start the search because it's finally time to replace the X lead screw nut. Like you I split the original one, but being nearly 50 years old it's time for a new one. While I'm at it I'll also straighten out the one shot oiler system.

I think your plan sounds reasonable. It's not butching the machine so you can do it that way for now and if you ever need to remove the saddle in the future just buy a replacement felt retainer. In the meantime it sure will make replacing felts easier

Well boys and girls, Randy WINS THE PONY! And, Bob's my uncle. Removed the knee top travel stop screw. ran the knee up until the cross-slide ways were above the knee ways. ShaZAAM! Felt retainer plate installed. You have to love it when a plan comes together!

wellplayed.jpg

Yes, thank you! I spent about 45 mins tramming in the head in both axis, checking quill runout, checking some collet runout this morning after the felt was installed. Total quill run out is around 0.0007+ (call it 0.001 if you wish), which I can certainly live with. collets were running about 0.0015+ runout, again, I can live with that (for the type of work that I do). Now, I just need to install the power feed travel limit bar, and the old girl is about ready to make some chips. :cool:

Back