Book: "A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines"

Apostle10

Active User
Registered
Hi Guys,

I have a Sheldon No. 0 Horizontal Milling Machine on it's way to me. I expect to receive it sometime next week.

While I'm pretty familiar with many machine shop operations (lathe, vert milling, welding, etc), a horizontal mill is new to me. I've had very little experience running one.

I'm looking for a copy of the 3rd Edition (1951) of "A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines," by Cincinnati Milling Company.

If anyone has one they're willing to part with , please email me.

Always make safe chips,

Mike
mike at w4xn dot com
Charlottesville, VA

Is there some special reason that you are looking for such a specific book? There are a plethora of really well written books on the subject of horizontal milling machine that would be much easier to find and have more current info on newer materials and procedures. I do understand about obtaining a library quality book for addition to your library, but there are many many good books readily available that will address all you would ever need t know..

Bob

I'm guessing you are aware of this 1916 edition, it's a free pdf.
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3873

Daryl
MN

Hi Guys,

I have a Sheldon No. 0 Horizontal Milling Machine on it's way to me. I expect to receive it sometime next week.

While I'm pretty familiar with many machine shop operations (lathe, vert milling, welding, etc), a horizontal mill is new to me. I've had very little experience running one.

I'm looking for a copy of the 3rd Edition (1951) of "A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines," by Cincinnati Milling Company.

If anyone has one they're willing to part with , please email me.

Always make safe chips,

Mike
mike at w4xn dot com
Charlottesville, VA

Hello Bob, Daryl and Stuart,

Thanks for your replies. I am familiar with the free pdf download of the earlier editions. The 910 page 1951 edition is available for viewing at this URL: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89089665160;view=1up;seq=1 - It is not available as a download without subscription.

I have a rather extensive library of machining books but this one seems to be written in a easily understandable way and it's loaded with a plethora of photos and drawings. I'd like to have it in my reference library.

The specific question I'm trying to resolve is related to table feed rates. This Sheldon mill has x-axis feed rates of: 0.0011, 0.0023, 0.0046 and 0.0094 inches per spindle revolution. To compute the proper feed, the following formula is provided:

IPR (inches per revolution) = N (# cutter teeth) x F (cutter feed rate per tooth, a table look up value)

Now, RPM's are computed as: [CS (cutter speed, table lookup)x(4)]/D (diameter of cutter)

Finding the table feed value for a 4" side-tooth HSS cutter with 72 teeth, cutting a low to medium carbon steel (CS~80) yields a spindle RPM of 75 RPM. The "F," or feed in inches per tooth from the table look-up is a range from 0.002" - 0.007". Using a middle value of say 0.004", the math yields a table feed rate of 0.290 inches per spindle revolution. That represents a rate of over 30x my highest feed of 0.0094"/revolution.

I'm missing something BIG here .. I'm stumped and I cannot find the answer. Is it possible these comps are made for a HUGE mill with a "MUCHO-HP" motor, unlike my tiny 1 hp 3 phase motor (working off a VFD) ??

Any and all comments are welcomed..

Regards,

Puzzled Mike in Virginia

Is there some special reason that you are looking for such a specific book? There are a plethora of really well written books on the subject of horizontal milling machine that would be much easier to find and have more current info on newer materials and procedures. I do understand about obtaining a library quality book for addition to your library, but there are many many good books readily available that will address all you would ever need t know..

Bob

Suggest you look up Horsepower for Milling section in Machinery's handbook. Your post does not mention the width of the milling cutter which is necessary to determine horsepower needed and so the feed rate. I note that the Sheldon #0 often came with a 3hp motor so tables for it may not apply to your 1 hp unit.
Best of luck.

Suggest you look up Horsepower for Milling section in Machinery's handbook. Your post does not mention the width of the milling cutter which is necessary to determine horsepower needed and so the feed rate. I note that the Sheldon #0 often came with a 3hp motor so tables for it may not apply to your 1 hp unit.
Best of luck.

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply.

I suppose the other variable to consider is the depth of the cut along with the width of the cutter. I have the 15th Edition of the MH and I'll be spending some time in there today. This other book "A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines, 3rd Edition" has a great section on this topic. That's one reason I'm trying to find one. They're available but at outrageous prices.

Indeed the Sheldon 0 was available with a 3HP motor but mine has only a 1HP motor. Since my use is strictly for hobby purposes, job time is not as important as preserving cutter life. :)

Mike

I asked how to calculate for a horizontal wheels several times on PM and was told to just use one of the feed calculators for a HSS end mill. The feed calculator that I fed your info into comes in at same RPM and a feed rate of 22 inches per minute.
My mill has table feed listed in IPM, not IPR.

Depth of cut and feed rate are the great mysteries of using a horizontal mill. I think it was Keith Rucker on YouTube took what looked like a 1/2" deep cut in one pass. My pucker factor would be over the top :))

I asked how to calculate for a horizontal wheels several times on PM and was told to just use one of the feed calculators for a HSS end mill. The feed calculator that I fed your info into comes in at same RPM and a feed rate of 22 inches per minute.
My mill has table feed listed in IPM, not IPR.

Depth of cut and feed rate are the great mysteries of using a horizontal mill. I think it was Keith Rucker on YouTube took what looked like a 1/2" deep cut in one pass. My pucker factor would be over the top :))

Thanks for your reply. To switch from inches per revolution to inches per minute, you just multiply IPRxRPM to get IPM. That works out to about 22 inches per minute. That's a purdy speedy cut for a small mill, dontchatink? :))

I guess determining feed is going to be a "cut and listen" operation.

Thanks and,

Always make safe chips, :whiteflag:

Mike

I misread your post and thought you had 2 or 3hp at the spindle. I had to look up the size of the Sheldon, yep 22 ipm is a bit much for the mill.
I think it's a bit much for my old piece of American iron.

Is your cutter 4" diameter with 72 teeth? Wouldn't that be more of a saw?:thinking:

What I don't understand is that when using a horizontal mill cutter, there are only so many teeth in contact with the work at any one time. Doesn't matter if you have 72 teeth or 12 teeth, only so many are in contact. They say use the same figures as an end mill. Most times when using an end mill, all the teeth are in contact at the same time.

Back