Bored today, so I got the idea to make an angle index for my AXA toolpost.

Ken226

Registered
Registered
I move my compound around alot, and being able position the toolpost quickly seemed like a good idea. Plus, I had a little Multifix envy, but got too much invested in BXA holders to talk myself into switching.

Everything turned out decent, except for the washer/pointer

Having a flat inside (D shaped) hole, gives it too much slop, and aluminum is too soft. I need to make another, from steel, and tabbed to secure it.

So, the idea was to have the index secured to the toolpost via two tabs, that lock into the disassembly slots. I made this part from 316 stainless. Then I engraved it with markings, in 5° increments, so that the index rotates with the toolpost, but the pointer remains stationary.

Then to make a washer with a pointer, and a D shaped hole, which fits over the t nut stud, and is prevented from rotating by a flat milled into the stud.

Here's the final setup.

But like I said, too much slop in the pointer to be useful. It moves 5° back and forth when I tighten the toolpost.

Very creative and innovative!
I have never seen an idea like that before.....:clapping:

Thanks for sharing this!

-brino

Only issue the OP has is it has play with 5 degrees otherwise i would copy that. Would need a way to get it more accurate.

Only issue the OP has is it has play with 5 degrees otherwise i would copy that. Would need a way to get it more accurate.

I'm going to make another washer/spacer tomorrow. This one will have a tab that protrudes toward the center of the hole.
I'll mill a slot into the toolpost stud, that fits the washers tab more tightly. That should do the trick.

Like this, but bigger.

If you could sneak in a torsion spring to bias it against the "tighten" side you'd be set! Another idea is to add friction between the handle nut and the pointer, then over travel the handle, come back part way (to bias the slop) final check, and tighten.
If you could get your indicator out of the structural system this would get better. You could come up with some kind of bypass with holes and posts... but the sneaky way is to open the top of the nut and attach the pointer ABOVE the nut!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Wouldn't it be easier to mill a slot in the post and the washer, then make a key to an interference fit?

Or, if you know it's going to change by 5 degrees when you tighten it, you already have an accurate system. Just allow for the movement.

Back