Boring bar cutting radius

Mike:

Fantastic response and thank you! That answered my question and I can move forward with my learning.

Contact @mmcmdl; he may be able to save you some money on Micro 100 bars.

I forgot to tell you that Micro 100 bars are simple to sharpen and maintain. All you need to do is hone the top of the tool with an extra-fine diamond stone or card. It only takes a few strokes and it will be as sharp as new. Be very careful to keep the top face very flat and do not use a lot of downward pressure; you're basically brushing the top with the stone. Done well, these bars will last for decades and cut better than almost any other solid bar I have seen.

Your job will be to find a bar that is long enough to go deep enough for your project. While I would normally tell you to get the biggest bar that will fit in the hole, remember that you may need to angle that bar to reduce radial forces to improve accuracy so go a tiny bit smaller than you think you'll need.

As mentioned above, the challenge would be to get a boring bar long enough and stiff enough. Then there is the finish to consider.
Seems to me that an adjustable reamer might be better suited to this job.
On second thought do you need a taper in the bore?

Last edited:
I really only need about 1/2" - 5/8" of actual perfect bore size, with a small bit of taper, maybe 6 degrees, at the start to ease the bullet entry. I made a larger die a while ago, .431, and after boring the actual sizing diameter for about 3/4", went back and cut about a 6 degree taper for the bullet to start. It seemed to work ok.

Back