Boring bar holder ineffective

Dan Krager

Registered
Registered
I have an AXA boring bar holder that uses two bushings to hold a 1/2" boring bar. But the bar almost spins like a top... the grip is not strong at all. I have disassembled to check for defects or issues. Perhaps the issue is the user. Any suggestions?
Capture.PNG
DanK

A 1/2" boring bar should fit fine in a standard set screw type tool holder. Looks like doubling up on sleeves is giving you growing stacked tolerances, that's my guess. Probably will introduce play in other axes as well.

Now why didn't I think of putting it directly into the tool holder? Duh. I can turn a single bushing and slit it. Wasn't sure that would work any better. Yes the bolts are present and they have tapered flats to draw against the bushings. And I did position the bushings so the bolts bore directly on the slit, at 90° to the slit and at 180° to the slit. No changes noted. And I stopped short of putting a cheater on the wrench for tightening and I put all I could muster into the tightening. I do have another boring bar holder with bolts that squeeze two sides of a slit together for holding. I guess a double bushing is just not an effective way to hold something. Thanks for the input.
DanK

A bushing in a bushing is not a good plan, make a new separate bushing for the smaller bar, the tool holder that has a vee groove in it is fine for small bars, no need for the tool holder shown for small bars.

Now why didn't I think of putting it directly into the tool holder? Duh. I can turn a single bushing and slit it. Wasn't sure that would work any better. Yes the bolts are present and they have tapered flats to draw against the bushings. And I did position the bushings so the bolts bore directly on the slit, at 90° to the slit and at 180° to the slit. No changes noted. And I stopped short of putting a cheater on the wrench for tightening and I put all I could muster into the tightening. I do have another boring bar holder with bolts that squeeze two sides of a slit together for holding. I guess a double bushing is just not an effective way to hold something. Thanks for the input.
DanK
Imo it’s a junk design meant to make you think you’re getting more than you bargained for.

The only issue I have with putting your boring bar right in the tool holder is it can mark up your shank if the set screws have anything other than a square flat dog point.

Back