Boring bar holder

ksierens

Active User
Registered
Just finished another project and thought I would share. I made a boring bar holder for my Craftsman 101.21200 (618) lathe, so now I can use 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4" boring bars. I modeled it after an old Armstrong holder.

boringbarholder.png

boringbarholder1.png

boringbarholder.png

boringbarholder1.png

rangerman

Active User
Registered
Beautiful machining work there!

Is there any special reason why you have so many circular cutouts for a single boring bar tool holder?

Oh, never mind!...I just noticed that they are for different sizes of bars.

I do need my glasses! :lmao:

Last edited:

velofelo

Rest In Peace
Nice work, i must make one of these. i made an adapter a while ago to do away with the top slide ( it can be in the way at times) the 4 way tool post is mounted on top, i can then mount this tool and have a good rigid set up,:allgood:

mzayd3

Active User
Registered
That looks really nice. I am impressed. Did you think about making it out of hex bar to make squaring it easier?

Kevinb71

Active User
Registered
When you made the Multi hole pieces for the bars to seat in did you do that one piece and then part it? If not how did you build that portion? Thanks!

Skippyman

Registered
Registered
I can't seem to see any of the pictures this thread talks about. What am I missing? I can see pictures in other threads.
Thanks,
Skip

ksierens

Active User
Registered
Skippyman, you probably need to be logged in to see the pictures.

Kevin, I made it as one piece, used a chuck in the spindle to drill and boring head mounted in the spindle to size the holes. Then placed a dead center in the spindle to scribe the center line. Then I mounted it in a chuck and using a threading bit made a v cut at the center line. Finished by using a jewelers saw to part the pieces by sawing in the v grooves.

Printer

Registered
Registered
Pristine work on the bar holder!
I was curious about the carriage stop mounted on the ways. Is it from Craftsman or something that you made?

ksierens

Active User
Registered
Thank you, the stop is actually a Craftsman/Atlas item. I have since sold that lathe to a friend and now have a 12" Craftsman, so I need to make a new boring bar holder for it.

bill70j

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just finished another project and thought I would share. I made a boring bar holder for my Craftsman 101.21200 (618) lathe, so now I can use 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4" boring bars. I modeled it after an old Armstrong holder.
Very nicely done, Kurt!
I was curious about the carriage stop mounted on the ways. Is it from Craftsman or something that you made?
FWIW, If you are interested in making a carriage stop, Tom Griffin has plans and a series of videos on his website on how to make one for an Atlas. Might save you some time and effort.

mickri

My craftsman 12x36 came with that same carriage stop. Don't use it very often but handy to have when I need it.

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
Nice job on the original there.
Yet another item for the 'Wanna-Do' list...

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a few of those older BB holders downstairs . Wondering if anyone uses these things any longer ?

mickri

I was planning to make several for the different size boring bars that I have until I made my QCTP.

bill70j

I have a few of those older BB holders downstairs . Wondering if anyone uses these things any longer ?
Yes, I do, but I built one for use with small bars - 6, 8, 10, and 12mm. (And it's no where near as nice as Kurt's.)

larry4406

Registered
Registered
Very nice. I am still a little confused on how you made this. If you are going to be make another for your new lathe, can you update this thread with progress pics?

Printer

Registered
Registered
Thank you, the stop is actually a Craftsman/Atlas item. I have since sold that lathe to a friend and now have a 12" Craftsman, so I need to make a new boring bar holder for it.

Very impressive shop. You should be proud. I like new machinery, but I prefer good “older” equipment. I recently picked up this 101.21200, with base, and extras at an auction. The base has a top made from 14” channel mounted on 1/4” x 2 1/2” angle legs. Stand alone weights 185lbs.! After I got it home and cleaned the rust protectant from everything. I see no evidence whatsoever that the lathe and accessories were ever used! It appears I have a brand new 1973 lathe.

Attachments

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Wow....nice clean and well organized shop. Unfortunately...I have accepted the fact that I am a pig. At some point... we all must look in the mirror and accept reality.
(Too bad... too many people, today live in an alter reality of internet alter reality. They think that if they take a selfie and say something which they know is a lie.... that it’s no longer a lie. It’s a world of altered online realities. )

anyway....I’m okay with my shortfalls, yet I can appreciate others who surpass me in those areas I am deficient. You really have a very, very nice shop Kurt.

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Wow! very nice shop, But it's pretty easy to keep things clean and tidy when you have a washer and dryer right there to throw all your tools and machine parts into. ;) Cheers, Mike

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock