Boring Bar Setup?

Alaskanrocket

Registered
Registered
I need some guidance on what would be a useful type boring bar setup for me. I don't do any type of work in particular mostly just whatever odd jobs I need done. I have a phase 2 tool post but don't have a boring bar tool holder and before I commit to anything I would like some feedback. The lathe is a SB heavy 10. Thanks a lot, Jess

That is kind of a broad area. If you have the phase II set then one of the holders will hold a bar like this. It's the holder with the V groove in the bottom. You could also make one and use a HSS bit in the end.
upload_2015-11-10_20-44-48.png

You could buy one of these in the appropriate size to fit our tool post. Notice there is a sleeve in the bore so you can use two sizes of boring bars.

Hope this helps.

Tom S

buy 395.jpg

The bar that kd4 showed above has a flat (as do many, but not all). The v-groove holder is a good way to hold a boring bar. However, you can even use your conventional tool holders, but you'll probably have to add spacers to hold the boring bar out from the back of the holder so it is underneith the locking screws (may not be able take very heavy cuts). You probably don't even have to put any spacers, but I feel it is a good practice to add that bit of support. If you follow this approach, you may have the holder so high up the post that the height adjusting screw is not effective (but so what, just set the tool at center height and go for it).

The arrangement Tom shows is also very good. It will hold most any size bar as you can make up your own sleeves (standard size round bar, drill bit to suit what ever boring bar and a hacksaw to create the slit) to accept smaller boring bars. The sleeve is does not need to be a precision item.

I second getting a boring bar set like kd4gij showed. I recommend getting a HSS set though. My experience with the brazed carbide has not been good, but I have only owned cheap ones...
It is also a good idea to get a cheap holder from ebay, should run you about $20.00

Good thinking. Sooner or later you'll need one of these. As was noted, this type holder...

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fcdcotools.com%2Fpicture%2F395&hash=b50f4818132dd211b4c0bb9a454400ad.jpg

...calls for a specific size shank on the boring tool, typically in 1/8 inch increments. When you buy your holder then you can start cruising Ebay and other sources for discounted boring tools with that shank size. If you have a pending need the sets are always the best start. If you are simply trying to be stocked up in case of need, then there are always under-priced singles for sale. One such purchase saved my socks at 10PM just last week.

Thanks for the replies. That clears things up, my main concern was mostly about HSS or Carbide. and whether or not I was missing something on round base boring bars versus something else. I guess the holder was mostly a no brainer. Thanks again for the replies. Jess

Alaskanrocket lol, im from Sterling bud, so I use the specific holder show above, mine is a 3/4-1", I also use the standard holders with NO groove, as I have the boring bar set from shars that's 4pc set, uses ccmt inserts, 3/8 shank, 1/2 shank, 5/8 shank, and 3/4 shank, I think 78 bucks buys the set, the small bar doesn't play well with a grooved holder, it may be different on an AXA post but I have a BXA post

I second getting a boring bar set like kd4gij showed. I recommend getting a HSS set though. My experience with the brazed carbide has not been good, but I have only owned cheap ones...
It is also a good idea to get a cheap holder from ebay, should run you about $20.00

Where have you found them in HSS? I have a couple but have not seen them for sale any ware.

Back