Boring Head And Lathe Boring Bar

shott8283

Registered
Registered
My boring head for my 40 taper machine is quite large. Uses 1" diameter bars. The only bar I have that is 1" is a WNMG boring bar for my lathe.

May be a silly question but I can use that in the boring head right?

Certainly, but in most cases I have done that, I have found it to be ungainly and too long. Normally, you choke up on your tools as much as possible to reduce/eliminate chatter. It always brought a tear to my eye to saw of a perfectly good boring bar just so I could use it in a boring head, but c'est la vie!

A boring bar is a boring bar. If you can mount it solidly you can use it, wherever you want to. You can make or buy split bushings to fit smaller bars in larger holes.

Funny you mention the length. Turns out to be perfect at 12" long. I know its "long" in terms of rigidity but the hole I have to bore is at the base of a axle spindle with 8" of ears that stick up to hold ball joints

That's really the only caveat I can think of, but as you see.....you need the length at times. Just make sure you have the -Z- travel to do it, or you'll have to fight to get it in the hole, then in the head. And then there is it being in the way when you need to check size.

I should be good to go. Did a dry run set up last night and i seemed to be able to clear. my head is direct fit with a 40 tape shank so that saves space.

Back