Boring Head?

I tried making one out of 4140 as-forged the "right" way. Somehow, it didn't work out well. The endmill just stopped cutting. Then, the TechShop went out of business. I'm lucky I didn't end up holding the bag on any loans, memberships or lost items. I hid the partially done boring head, and am ashamed everytime I see it. During Covid times, we are encouraged not to needlessly beat ourselves up about perceived failures. Anyway, I saw this cool post on homemadetools of one made out of barstock. When I really needed one (for a single hole), I made it out of junk cast iron and used an orphan 3/8" shank no-name brazed carbide tool. That thing worked great, and I used it one more time, again with excellent results, but this time with a right hand tool for turning a stub on a lifting eye that was too unwieldy to chuck in the lathe. I just run it slow and take my time, and it hasn't blown up yet. Actually, all the parts in serious tension were made out of carbon steel barstock.

I have a Wohlhaupter UPA2 that I absolutely adore, although I paid dearly for it. I really prefer boring heads that use a large ring rather than a screw which requires an Allen key, and being able to do facing ops in the mill is just awesome.

The Criterion boring head recommended above will absolutely serve you well, however.
Holy hell, that UPA2 looks like an absolute beast!

The DBL-303 uses 3/4" shank bars that are unfortunately more expensive.

[mention]mikey [/mention] is it horrible to sleeve a shank in a boring head as one might do when boring on a lathe? I could see how the single set screw in a boring head might struggle to provide the clamping force and rigidity that one wants. But it seems possible.

Or if one wanted, I could see silver brazing a sleeve on a smaller-shank tool to fit the 3/4” boring head.

Not ideal perhaps but the expense can be a bit much at times.

[mention]mikey [/mention] is it horrible to sleeve a shank in a boring head as one might do when boring on a lathe? I could see how the single set screw in a boring head might struggle to provide the clamping force and rigidity that one wants. But it seems possible.

Or if one wanted, I could see silver brazing a sleeve on a smaller-shank tool to fit the 3/4” boring head.

Not ideal perhaps but the expense can be a bit much at times.
Yes, you can, and that is a very good option, Jason. I'm ashamed not to have thought of that. Smaller bars are a lot cheaper.

This one looks awesome.
And the Wally

All DBL heads have a 7/8-20 mount so you can buy or make an adapter to suit your needs. Yes, an R8 adapter is readily available.
Fun fact: not all DBL boring heads have a 7/8” mount ya live and learn!6BAAB9A4-A939-425F-8387-00FC35F6897A.jpeg

Back