Boring out splines ?

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A friend of mine asked if I could modify a Tractor Supply adapter shaft by removing the inside splines to fit a 1-1/4" plain shaft. This is the adapter but different brand.

This may be very hard and the interrupted cut makes it hard on carbide inserts. I could possibly anneal it and reharden after machining.

I'm asking for advise here. Thanks in advance.
Aaron

I have done the same thing for a friend. I used a high speed steel tool in a short boring bar. The one I turned wasn't nearly as hard as I imagined. Actually turned very easily.
Cheers
Martin

Besides boring it out, you may also need a keyway, welding, or other means of transferring torque after the splines go away.

Depending on the application, you could also drill the assembled pieces for a shear pin. Mike

Besides boring it out, you may also need a keyway, welding, or other means of transferring torque after the splines go away.

I have worked on a lot of that tractor spline adapter stuff, and none of it has been hard, it machines easily and welds with no problem. For the advertised price, it cannot be very fancy material.

Those adapters (and most couplers) are or at least should not be real hard. They are the sacrificial member. It is a lot cheaper and easier to replace the adapter than a PTO shaft with worn out splines.

The way he was thinking he wanted it done (to allow use of a modern PTO shaft) was a lot of expense for no good reason so I found parts at Surplus Center and will put a new 6 spline slip coupling and new u-joint ( which was the only problem anyway) both welded to the original outer PTO tube with locating plugs inside. It will be cost effective and easy to accomplish.

Back