Boring problem

Hi Barry,
Thanks for the suggestions. I got a lot of good advice from Mikey and changed my setup to eliminate as much deflection as possible. One of the biggest things was to keep the bar protrusion as short as possible. On my original set up I had the boring bar out too far and the boring bar holder was not very rigid. On the redo I was able to mount my boring bar in my 4 way tool post holder. This was way more solid than using the boring bar holder that I first tried.
This was a good learning experience. The part was not critical. It was just a replacement hand wheel for my mill/drill. I still wanted to get the fit as close as possible. My end result could have been a touch better but I am satisfied with the end result.
Mikey showed me some examples of good holders and I plan to make one in the future.
Chuck

Mickri,
As long as you are on track aye. Every job is a learning experience even those you've done before.
I just have to say that this site is great for finding answers to questions you would not ask in some company.
Here I feel free to admit a mistake so somebody else does not follow.
- Cheers,
Barry.

Yesterday, turning a drill chuck arbor to fit in a boring bar holder, was aiming for .750''
I don't trust the dials on my lathe because of backlash, flex, etc.so when getting close I measure after every pass. When the dial read .775'' I thought perfect, dead on! (I only saw the 75, its that 'anticipation' that you mentioned). Wonderfull smells were coming from the kitchen, job had gone really well so far, thought I was done so parted it off. Turns out that a .775'' arbor doesn't fit a .750'' hole.

But I got it set up between centers and took the extra .025'' for a perfect fit. It was probably how it should have been done to start with.

I find it hard not to let my guard down towards the end when a job goes really well.

Back