Boring tool geometry

mikey

Platinum
Staff member
Rest In Peace
While perusing the Micro 100 website this evening, I stumbled upon a paper on boring tool geometry that I thought might interest you guys. We've talked about the different cutting forces and tool angles in our model tools thread (and the Boring Primer article I posted) but not many hobby guys realize that the same information applies to boring tools as well. Perhaps more specifically, the paper discusses how the different features of a boring tool impact on cutting forces and that is valuable information.

I am attaching it below for anyone interested in reading it.

Attachments

• Micro 100 boring geometry.pdf
    308.4 KB · Views: 70
I just made a post to you on the other thread , didn't see this ! :grin:

Looks like a good article, just put it in the download folder. I’ll read it before the night is up.

I just made a post to you on the other thread , didn't see this ! :grin:

Looks like a good article, just put it in the download folder. I’ll read it before the night is up.

They do a good job explaining stuff but don't say much about modding the tools to improve performance. I guess they intend for us to leave well enough alone, eh?

Reactions: Z2V
Maybe they figure that if you need more performance than they provide out of the box you probably know what to do to get that performance already? IDK
For me, and my skill set, these bars are great right out of the tube.

We developed a 20mm grenade for the OICW gun project back in the 90s up at AAI . The inside profile was locked up to .001 on total profile on both sides of this split tungsten grenade . I always had to add front , bottom and back clearance to the bars . Once they were dialed in they never wore much . Being this was on a nice cnc lathe , I could just adjust the tool nose comp if it did wear . :encourage:

Maybe they figure that if you need more performance than they provide out of the box you probably know what to do to get that performance already? IDK
For me, and my skill set, these bars are great right out of the tube.

Yup, if ain't broke, don't break it.

We developed a 20mm grenade for the OICW gun project back in the 90s up at AAI . The inside profile was locked up to .001 on total profile on both sides of this split tungsten grenade . I always had to add front , bottom and back clearance to the bars . Once they were dialed in they never wore much . Being this was on a nice cnc lathe , I could just adjust the tool nose comp if it did wear . :encourage:

One day, I'll have a nice grinder to mod carbide tools. Like you, I know what to do; I just need to tool to do it with.

Back