Bought a big-ole shaper today! Rockford 28"

Pipes and a come-a-long... add a long pry bar/ pinch-bar and some random chunks of wood and even a 6000+ pound machine can be moved relatively easily. Sure...there may be a few hiccups. But it can be done in a couple of hours. Very nice shaper. And I totally get your desire for a bigger shaper.

That really did leave a fantastic finish! Love it...they're so fun to watch. I'm dying to find one...

That really did leave a fantastic finish! Love it...they're so fun to watch. I'm dying to find one...
I was quite surprised actually! I was quite slow on the cut with a mediocre carbide cutter in aluminum. But the finish is pretty good!

I can't wait to see what it is capable of with a good cutter at a proper feed speed.

I was quite surprised actually! I was quite slow on the cut with a mediocre carbide cutter in aluminum. But the finish is pretty good!

I can't wait to see what it is capable of with a good cutter at a proper feed speed.
You're going to have a lot of fun with that!

What sort of rigging setup did they use to lift it with the crane?

You're going to have a lot of fun with that!

What sort of rigging setup did they use to lift it with the crane?

They just followed the manual, which was a strap under the front of the ram, and under the back casting under the ram and lifted straight up. I wasn't there, but apparently it was about a 30 second thing, they lifted it, drove the truck under, dropped it (and strapped it down), then drove away!

As I recall, you have a PITA nosey neighbor. So what's your plan, park the big fork truck in your driveway for a few days? Then park the shaper out there and maybe stake off a slab on your property line with a picture of the "new lawn ornament" stapled to one of the stakes? Maybe mike the shaper to a speaker pointed as his house so he can enjoy it too! Nice acquisition by the way.

Bruce
That is Eric Mannie that you are thinking of...

So there is a video of the first cut! I filled up the oil (it took about 18 gallons!) And hooked up the static phase converter. It moves and cuts!

I popped some aluminum in the vise and let her go video here: first cut

I left it pretty slow for this and just used the brased cutter that was in it, finish was fantastic and stepover was about 20 thou I think?
That is really awesome Erich. Really nice finish on that aluminum.

So, an update of the work I've done so far. My wife took the toddler to her parents for the day, so I had a bunch of shop time mixed with trips for supplies!

I started with a trip to Ace for some paint stripper and bolts.

First thing I did was some paint removal on the vise. I was told by the seller that he bought this out of a field, where someone had put it after painting the whole machine to protect it from rust. So the degree indicators on the vise is one location that he missed stripping.

I spent a bit with paint stripper cleaning this off, plus stoning all the surfaces.

While waiting for that to work, I worked on making Tnuts to hold the vise down! It takes 6, and only had 2 installed when I bought it, so it rotates freely. Fortunately, it uses the same t-nuts my mill does AND I had 4 blanks that I had made on my last shaper. So the process was just to drill and tap.

I bolted the vise down, and considered that a win.

Next, I pulled the access panel on the "reversing" handle. The purpose of this handle is to let you reverse the direction of the Ram while it is moving. It seems it wasn't working due to a plug bolt leaking, so I replaced the small oring on it, and it works!

Now that I am 100% functional, I wanted to see why this was leaking like a sieve. I tried plugging it with that bolt, but it started coming out the pin. PXL_20210218_235032849.jpg

However, I couldn't find my 3/8 drive hex key set (I think I lended it out to a neighbor?), So I didn't have ahhex wrench bigger than 3/8!

SO another trip to Ace. They fortunately had a big 1/2" and 9/16", which were the two big ones I could find. I started by pulling the box and cleaning all faces and reinstalling, but that didn't fix it.

I pulled it again and looked for what I could do. Fortunately while moving it around, I discovered that those alignment pins actually come out! I smacked the right side out with a punch and then the plate with the bolt in it came out with no issue.

That plate is actually piston shaped and is a plug for some of the hydraulics. The O ring on it looked beat up, and if it leaked by that would definitely explain the problem. My box of O rings doesnt go that big, but a trip to Ace got me a replacement.

However, while I was out, my wife came home, so I had to pick up pizza and be done for the day.

I DID through this get some swivel pipe thread hose Barb which I installed to use for the head automatic oiler, but haven't recieved the hose yet, so it still leaks on the floor :)

Back