Bought a new lathe today!

November X-ray

Active User
Registered
Harbor Freight had a big parking lot sale ending today and I could'nt stand it anymore so I simply had to go to the east coast distribution center in Dillon, S.C. which is about 20 miles from where I currently am at. I perused up and down every aisle and looked at all sorts of toy, uh, tools and what nots. When it was all said and done I wound up getting two 4" angle grinders, a vibrating polisher, circular saw blade sharpener, a 6" bench mounted extended shaft buffer, and a 10" x 18" lathe with 8 piece high speed steel lathe tool chisel set. Okay, I know it is a wood lathe but it spins things around and it gives me something to do in the evenings while I am away from home working. Now I just need to learn a few basics and figure out what will be a suitable project to make so I can justify my purchase when my wife finds out!

Use the "what, This? Oh it been around a while. Remember I got it right after you got_____(fill in the blank), then get an innocent look and maybe she will think she forgot you did it. If she is like my wife, she wont say anymore to avoid looking like she forgot anything... Then your off the hook till she sees the credit card bill. That should at least get 2 extra weeks before momma strangles you in your sleep... Oh wait a minute tha's a description of my wife, can't be two like her in thhe universe.... Heh heh. Enjoy the new tools, you really did need them...Right!
Bob

Turn her a nice bowl or vase she'll love it:biggrin:

We all need wives like Benny's she has bout as many tools as Benny, I think she has 3 wood lathes.

Google "taming of the skew". That is one chisel that can be scary, but with a bit of practice, can do some really smooth cutting. Get ahold of some really dry elm or 'soft' maple.

a bowl or vase is a great idea. i have a beautiful 60 plus year old craftsman wood lathe i got from my deceased father-in-law. folds up into a jig saw. . . . full set of tools and everything needed i think. i have not even turned it on.

spindles, spindles, spindles. . . . . thats all i can feature in my simple brain, and i can't find any reason to make them :=).

i hope you can successfully make and show something to get my brain a pumpin. . .

Use the "what, This? Oh it been around a while. Remember I got it right after you got_____(fill in the blank), then get an innocent look and maybe she will think she forgot you did it. If she is like my wife, she wont say anymore to avoid looking like she forgot anything... Then your off the hook till she sees the credit card bill. That should at least get 2 extra weeks before momma strangles you in your sleep... Oh wait a minute tha's a description of my wife, can't be two like her in thhe universe.... Heh heh. Enjoy the new tools, you really did need them...Right!
Bob

Yea Right BOB, in my world anytime my G/F see's Cardboard or Shinny Tools near my Tool Box, it's straight to the phone to find out how much I now OWE the Snap-On man. That sneeky little Grass will tell here every time, He aint stupid, he's just as scared of her as I am

my wife watches for the postal boxes or other boxes going out with the trash
she will ask "what did that cost? " i'll tell you "I dont know hun i dont sell cardboard" is not the right answer...
I have a burn barrel now
steve

My wife has become an expert appraiser, whenever I get something she simply spends an equal or greater amount on something she wants! So far I think she is winning and I just don't know it.

I race remote control boats and my wife and I made a deal about 10 tears ago. When I get a new boat, she gets a new diamond. I stopped racing for a while in 2005 to concentrate on building my business, but she kept on buying diamonds. I told her I hadn't bought a new boat in about 4 years and ya know what she told me? HA!!. That's your problem.

Back