Bought my first lathe, need help.

Opie_7afe

Registered
Registered
I bought an atlas 10d over a week ago in good condition with all the change gears. First thing is the grease is leaking out of the countershaft when running, so im assuming the felt is worn out. Another one is i am missing the washer that goes behind the screw gear(part 9-114) and cannot find one, any leads where i could find one or atleast the thickness of the washer so i could make one... And last question is regarding the change gears, i need to cut an 8tpi thread eventually and knowing what gears to use is no big deal. my question is for some gear changes do you need to loosen the bolt in the banjo so it can move up or down and give you room to mount the 96t gear with the 32 on the screw for 8tpi? Thanks

Yes, that is what the banjo is for. Likely there is just too much grease in the countershaft bearing, it has to go somewhere.

Thats what i thought just wanted to be sure...just need to grab a socket that fits the bolt..among my other projects like fittong a qctp..i used the lantern for 30 minutes before i ordered a qctp and ive never even ran a lathe before.

I learned on a lathe with lantern tool posts, apprenticed in a shop where there was no QCTPs, went into business and soon after bought Aloris for all my lathes, a while back I found a Monarch 9", it had all the tooling with lantern; I tried it out for a while and bought QCTP a short time after, but Chinese (good enough, but certainly not up to Aloris standards).

Opie,

To answer your other question, the purpose of the Spacer 9-113 is to allow you to set up a gear train with the screw gear meshed with the previous gear in the train mounted in either the Front (F) or the Back (B) position. You can either call Clausing and ask for Tech Support for old Atlas lathes or you can partially set up a gear train that calls for the screw gear to be in the F position, with the Screw Gear aligned with the previous gear and with Spacer behind the screw gear and a gap where the Washer should be. Measure the width of the gap and find a washer to fit.

The spacer i knew the purpose of, i found out it was missing the washer as i decided to remove the gears to clean the grease off, and found the washer missing so that explains why the gear looked so close to the lump where the cover latches and the movement in the gear..also lead screw moves back and forth along with my forward reverse lever being able to move past the "detent notches"....paid $450 for it including the change gears,3 jaw cushman chuck,backing plate,two drill chucks with tapers, the collet drawbar,collet adapter to 3c and 5 collets..along with 4 chuck wrenches which dont even fit(go figure!), And another tail stock looking device which i have no idea what it goes to as its not for an atlas...

Anyways i heard shipping from clausing is a bit high for a small item, any cheaper items yall recommend to order along with the washer(if i dont make one)?

So far my list of things to replace over time is the felts in the countershaft, half-nuts,cross slide nut. Nothing is broken(as far as i know) just preventative maintenance to replace the wear items.

I don't want to hi-jack the thread by starting a discussion of why shipping costs are so high. Suffice it to say that Clausing had nothing to do with them. Shipping has just gotten quite expensive.

If you are ready to order any of the other parts, they may not affect the shipping cost or not much. I would recommend that you also order two felts to put into the two spindle bearing oil cups. They didn't actually appear on the parts lists until long after your lathe went out of production but are recommended as a minor improvement.

I understand shipping costs have went up but for example spending lets say $13 to ship a part that could go in a small padded envelope total cost would be under $5 including the envelope irritates me alittle bit..thats why i try to bundle things to spread out shipping.

The felts for the cups is one thing i will do but think ill attempt to make my own using dremel buffing wheels(read it somewhere maybe here? That it works ok)

Well, jokes about the "S" standing for "Smashers" aside, UPS does have a better average track record than USPS. I have never had a neighbor deliver a UPS package to me nor have I ever had to walk a UPS package down the block to put it where it belongs. Which over the past few years has averaged probably 2 per week with USPS. But the reason for the $13 or so minimum is that the "P" stands for Parcel and the minimum weight charge is for one pound instead of one ounce. If USPS had a one pound minimum, their minimum charge to most of the nation would be around $8. If USPS ran their vehicles to each delivery point instead of their personnel walking with most of it, their minimum for one pound would probably be about the same as UPS's.

Anyway, we should be happy that Clausing, unlike most majors, will not only deal with owners of what in the grand scheme of things today are aincient machines, but will sell one of us one cup felt if that's all that we want.

Called clausing today, waiting on a call back guessing they arent fully staffed due to the weather up there..

Back