Boyar Schultz Dust Hood

RWL

Active User
Registered
I should have written this up previously, but you can see the sequence of construction in the POTD thread:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...&highlight=boyar+schultz+dust+hood#post175324

Having used it now for a short while, I learned that it's allowing about 10% of the dust to escape below the level of the dust hood. Obviously it needed to be lower, but when it's attached to the wheel guard, it would strike the lower edge of the magnetic chuck. I can see now why some Boyar Schultz surface grinders have a big fixed funnel shaped dust collector at the end of the table, where the left shield would be. Since I had a fair amount of time in building the current dust hood, I wanted to modify it rather than making something new. I could see two options. One, I could set it on a stand at the end of the magnetic chuck and come up with some way to move it from side to side to match where on the chuck the piece was being ground. I'd be out of luck if the item to be ground was taller than the dust hood. Option two was to hinge it so that it would swing up when end of the magnetic chuck hit it. I clamped a hinge to it to prototype it and it seemed to work. I'll make the new pieces and weld them to the hood tomorrow.

22 Clamp closeup (Large).JPG23 Hinged prototype (Large).JPG24 Hinged prototype w sparks  (Large).JPG

22 Clamp closeup (Large).JPG 23 Hinged prototype (Large).JPG 24 Hinged prototype w sparks  (Large).JPG

Looks to be doing a great job.
I like photo 3 with the sparks flowing in.. Looks like strands of copper wire..

I am making a hood for my grinder as well. I'll share pictures when done.
One thing I noticed was that when attached to the wheel guard, it actually deflected the spindle ever so slightly.. And my grinder is pretty solid (Mitsui).

Dan

Here's one that I made for my DoAll grinder. It's basically a vacuum attachment with one side cut off. I epoxied a dust brush to the bottom of it and mounted it to the rod to adjust the height. It's very light, and it doesn't move with the table, which doesn't cause any deformation at the end of the stroke. It cost me about $10 to put together.

20140131_102022_zpsckodli23.jpg

I updated the dust hood with a hinged hangar at the top. Since the lower lip of the hood can be set lower than the chuck, it's no longer losing the dust that scooted horizontally off the workpiece. The downside is that depending on the angle of the dust hood, it can jam against the top of the chuck. This may not be the final version, but it collects dust better than the fixed version.

Not shown is a stop I added later to the hinge to keep the dust collector from swinging so far to the right that it hits the grinding wheel. I added it after that accident occurred. It left some significant dings in the wheel. I dressed most of the damage out with the diamond, but there are still two flat spots on the wheel. I hate to take the rest of the dings out since I'll lose more of the wheel diameter, but I may do that.
25 Hinge mechanism added permanently (Large).JPG27  Sparks being thrown into dust collector (Large).JPG

25 Hinge mechanism added permanently (Large).JPG 27  Sparks being thrown into dust collector (Large).JPG

Back