BP "J" with Step Pulley

Sounds almost like a bad/dry bearing- how hard is it to take the motor off and run it by itself?
Probably that's what I would do- eliminate the motor first

Not hard to remove the motor and the upper casing. Even going a bit further and taking the top plate off to have a look at the back gears isn't too tricky. Worth having a peek and checking it all, particularly the lube situation.
Have a serious look at whether the driven pulley bearings feel worn. They're nothing special and easy to replace.

Here's a 10 second video. See what you think...Does not sound BAD, just a bit noisy.
View attachment 413740
My excello BP style mill variable speed is noisier, but R/O on spindle nose is about 1/100,000 , it mills great so I leave it alone and use as is.
You can put a VFD on it and not use the pulley to change speeds.

It's a little tough to hear through the video, but that ringing/clatter sound is something to watch out for.

Here's a chart courtesy of H&W:

SP-Troubleshoting.png

Draw bar is just hanging there in the video. Didn't have a collet in the spindle.

I tightened the drawbar and it sounded the same. The more I listen the more it sounds like the cog belt. Those things can be noisy.
It's not the motor either I dropped the belt and it was nearly silent.

I'd sure hate to have to tear into the bearings...mostly because I'm lazy. There is only one oil cup...are the other bearings sealed?

I tightened the drawbar and it sounded the same. The more I listen the more it sounds like the cog belt. Those things can be noisy.
It's not the motor either I dropped the belt and it was nearly silent.

I'd sure hate to have to tear into the bearings...mostly because I'm lazy. There is only one oil cup...are the other bearings sealed?
It isn't the cog belt. If they do make noise, the are a low growl, nothing like the clanking like that head has.

There should be two oil cups one for the spindle bearings and one for the quill. Bearings on the top of quill are sealed. Cog pulley bearings are sealed. H&w sell a top end rebuild that has all upper bearings for a step pulley fairly cheap. Comes with the belts too. Then you have the spindle bearings 300 to replace. Fairly easy to do.

Back